Lasser, Jana; Goehring, Lucas (2020): Subsurface salt concentration profiles and pore water density measurements from Owens Lake, central California, measured in 2018. Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization, PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911059
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The data set contains subsurface salt concentration profiles and pore water density measurements from salt deserts showing salt polygons at the surface. The data set characterizes the subsurface of the salt deserts and is used together with other data sets (which characterize the surface) to explain the driving mechanism of salt polygon growth in salt deserts.
For each site, the sand in a cross-sectional area of about 2 m x 1 m below a salt polygon was sampled with a horizontal and vertical resolution of 15 cm and 10 cm respectively. Samples were then analyzed for their salt content to resolve salinity gradients present below the salt polygon patterns at the surface. Additionally, pore water at the sites was sampled from the surface and at a depth of ~1 m to measure the surface and background salinity. The pore water was then analyzed using a vibrating-tube densimeter with a measurement accuracy of 5 x 10^(-4) g/cm^3.
Samples used to compile salt concentration profiles were taken at 3 different sites, samples of pore water were taken at 8 different sites. All samples were collected during a field campaign at Owens Lake, Central California in January 2018.
Related to this data are also
- grain size distributions of sand samples taken at the field sites at different depths (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.910996),
- pictures and videos characterizing the sites (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911054),
- temperature and humidity time-series measured during one week in late 2016 (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911139),
- as well as surface scans measured by TLS (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911233)
- and a chemical characterization of the salt species present in the crust (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911239).
Lasser, Jana (2019): Geophysical Pattern Formation of Salt Playa (PhD thesis). Georg-August Universität Göttingen, hdl:11858/00-1735-0000-002E-E5DB-2
Median Latitude: 36.496547 * Median Longitude: -117.944507 * South-bound Latitude: 36.347950 * West-bound Longitude: -117.978520 * North-bound Latitude: 36.539230 * East-bound Longitude: -117.915950
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Lasser, J; Goehring, L (2020): Pore water density measurements from Owens Lake, central California, in 2018. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911055
- Lasser, J; Goehring, L (2020): Subsurface salt concentration profiles from Owens Lake, site T27-S_P1, central California, measured in 2018. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911056
- Lasser, J; Goehring, L (2020): Subsurface salt concentration profiles from Owens Lake, site T32-1-L1_P2, central California, measured in 2018. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911057
- Lasser, J; Goehring, L (2020): Subsurface salt concentration profiles from Owens Lake, site T32-1-L1_P3, central California, measured in 2018. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911058