Nield, Joanna M; Lasser, Jana; Goehring, Lucas (2020): TLS surface scans from Owens Lake and Badwater Basin, central California, measured in 2016 and 2018. Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization, PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911233
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The data set contains surface scans from a salt desert showing salt polygons at the surface. The data set characterizes the patterned surface of the salt deserts and is used together with other data sets (which characterize the environmental conditions and subsurface of the deserts) to explain the driving mechanism of salt polygon growth in salt deserts.
For every site, the raw point cloud from the scanner is uploaded. Additionally, subsets of the raw point clouds (squares) were extracted and transformed onto a regular grid and are also available here.
Measurements were conducted for 21 sites at Owens Lake and 5 sites at Badwater Basin - both Central California. All data was recorded during two field campaigns in November / December 2016 and January 2018.
Related to this data are also
- grain size distributions of sand samples taken at the field sites at different depths (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.910996),
- pictures and videos characterizing the sites (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911054),
- salinity profiles from cross-sections below polygons and background salt concentration measurements (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.922264),
- temperature and humidity time-series measured during one week in late 2016 (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.922231),
- and a chemical characterization of the salt species present in the crust (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911239).
Lasser, Jana (2019): Geophysical Pattern Formation of Salt Playa (PhD thesis). Georg-August Universität Göttingen, hdl:11858/00-1735-0000-002E-E5DB-2
Median Latitude: 36.427225 * Median Longitude: -117.754176 * South-bound Latitude: 36.227500 * West-bound Longitude: -117.980400 * North-bound Latitude: 36.898280 * East-bound Longitude: -116.778700
Badwater_basin_P1 * Latitude: 36.227500 * Longitude: -116.778700 * Location: California, USA * Method/Device: Sampling by hand (HAND)
Badwater_basin_P3 * Latitude: 36.227750 * Longitude: -116.780330 * Location: California, USA * Method/Device: Sampling by hand (HAND)
|#||Name||Short Name||Unit||Principal Investigator||Method/Device||Comment|
|1||Event label||Event||Nield, Joanna M|
|2||Latitude of event||Latitude||Nield, Joanna M|
|3||Longitude of event||Longitude||Nield, Joanna M|
|4||File content||Content||Nield, Joanna M|
|5||File format||File format||Nield, Joanna M||gridded|
|6||File size||File size||kByte||Nield, Joanna M||gridded|
|7||Uniform resource locator/link to file||URL file||Nield, Joanna M||gridded|
|8||File format||File format||Nield, Joanna M||raw|
|9||File size||File size||kByte||Nield, Joanna M||raw|
|10||Uniform resource locator/link to file||URL file||Nield, Joanna M||raw|
162 data points