Lasser, Jana; Karius, Volker (2020): Chemical characterization of salt samples from Owens Lake and Badwater Basin, central California, collected in 2016 and 2018. Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization, PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911239
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The data set contains a chemical analysis of the salt species from two salt deserts showing salt polygons at the surface. The data set is used together with other data sets (which characterize the environmental conditions, surface and subsurface of the deserts) to explain the driving mechanism of salt polygon growth in salt deserts.
Different salt species crystallize in spatially separated patches. These patches were visually identified and sampled. Salt samples from the salt crust were collected at two sites at Owens Lake, Central California. Samples were dried, and pulverized and their mineral composition was analyzed using quantitative XRD.
Pore water was collected from the subsurface at two sites at Badwater Basin (also central California) and 10 sites at Owens Lake. Elemental composition of the pore water was analyzed using ICPOES.
All samples were collected during two field campaigns in November / December 2016 and January 2018.
Related to this data are also
- grain size distributions of sand samples taken at the field sites at different depths (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.910996),
- pictures and videos characterizing the sites (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911054),
- salinity profiles from cross-sections below polygons and background salt concentration measurements (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.922264),
- surface scans measured by TLS (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.911233) and
- temperature and humidity time-series measured during one week in late 2016 (see data at https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.922231).
Lasser, Jana (2019): Geophysical Pattern Formation of Salt Playa (PhD thesis). Georg-August Universität Göttingen, hdl:11858/00-1735-0000-002E-E5DB-2
Median Latitude: 36.389643 * Median Longitude: -117.792127 * South-bound Latitude: 36.227500 * West-bound Longitude: -117.980400 * North-bound Latitude: 36.898280 * East-bound Longitude: -116.778700
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Lasser, J; Karius, V (2020): Chemical characterization of crust salt species of sites T10-3 and T2-5 from Owens Lake, central California, collected in 2016 and 2018. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911219
- Lasser, J; Karius, V (2020): Chemical characterization of crust salt species of sites T10-3 and T2-5 from Owens Lake, central California, collected in 2016 and 2018 (Version 2). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.922265
- Lasser, J; Karius, V (2020): Chemical characterization of pore water samples from Owens Lake and Badwater basin, central California, collected in 2016 and 2018. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.911237