Frantzen, Sylvia; Måge, Aumund; Iversen, Svein Arnholt; Julshamn, Kåre (2011): Dioxin-like and non-dioxin like contaminants in the herring Clupea harengus in the Norwegian and North Sea. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.809888, Supplement to: Frantzen, S et al. (2011): Seasonal variation in the levels of organohalogen compounds in herring (Clupea harengus) from the Norwegian Sea. Chemosphere, 85(2), 179-187, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2011.06.034
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The Norwegian spring spawning (NSS) herring is an ecologically important fish stock in the Norwegian Sea, and with a catch volume exceeding one million tons a year it is also economically important and a valuable food source. In order to provide a baseline of the levels of contaminants in this fish stock, the levels of organohalogen compounds were determined in 800 individual herring sampled at 29 positions in the Norwegian Sea and off the coast of Norway. Due to seasonal migration, the herring were sampled where they were located during the different seasons. Concentrations of dioxins and dioxin-like PCBs, non-dioxin-like PCBs (PCB7) and PBDEs were determined in fillet samples of individual herring, and found to be relatively low, with means (min-max) of 0.77 (0.24-3.5) ngTEQ/kg wet weight (ww), 5.0 (1.4-24) µg/kg ww and 0.47 (0.091-3.1) µg/kg ww, respectively. The concentrations varied throughout the year due to the feeding- and spawning cycle: Starved, pre-spawning herring caught off the Norwegian coast in January-February had the highest levels and those caught in the Norwegian Sea in April-June, after further starvation and spawning, had the lowest levels. These results show that the concentrations of organohalogen compounds in NSS herring are relatively low and closely tied to their physiological condition, and that in the future regular monitoring of NSS herring should be made in the spawning areas off the Norwegian coast in late winter.
Median Latitude: 65.520000 * Median Longitude: 7.760000 * South-bound Latitude: 54.000000 * West-bound Longitude: -2.000000 * North-bound Latitude: 70.000000 * East-bound Longitude: 10.000000
Date/Time Start: 1995-12-01T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2007-08-01T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Frantzen, S; Måge, A; Iversen, SA et al. (2011): (Table 1) Length, weight, fat content and age of Norwegian spring spawning herring (Clupea harengus) during 2007. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.809883
- Frantzen, S; Måge, A; Iversen, SA et al. (2011): (Table 2) Concentrations of dioxin-like and non-dioxin like contaminants in Norwegian spring spawning herring (Clupea harengus) during 2007. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.809884
- Frantzen, S; Måge, A; Iversen, SA et al. (2011): (Table S1) Concentrations of PCDD/Fs an in Norwegian spring spawning and North Sea herring (Clupea harengus) during 2003-2006. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.809885
- Frantzen, S; Måge, A; Iversen, SA et al. (2011): (Table S2) Concentrations of non-dioxin-like PCBs in Norwegian spring spawning and North Sea herring (Clupea harengus) during 1995-2006. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.809886
- Frantzen, S; Måge, A; Iversen, SA et al. (2011): (Table S3) Concentrations of PBDEs in Norwegian spring spawning and North Sea herring (Clupea harengus) during 2003-2006. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.809887