Hinrichsen, Hans-Harald; von Dewitz, Burkhard; Lehmann, Andreas; Bergström, Ulf; Hüssy, Karin (2017): Spatio-temporal dynamics of cod nursery areas in the Baltic Sea. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875622, Supplement to: Hinrichsen, H-H et al. (2017): Spatio-temporal dynamics of cod nursery areas in the Baltic Sea. Progress in Oceanography, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2017.05.007
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
In this study the drift of eastern Baltic cod larvae and juveniles spawned within the historical eastern Baltic cod spawning grounds was investigated by detailed drift model simulations for the years 1971 to 2010, to examine the spatio-temporal dynamics of environmental suitability in the nursery areas of juvenile cod settlement. The results of the long-term model scenario runs, where juvenile cod were treated as simulated passively drifting particles, enabled us to find strong indications for long-term variations of settlement and potentially the reproduction success of the historically important eastern Baltic cod nursery grounds. Only low proportions of juveniles hatched in the Arkona Basin and in the Gotland Basin were able to settle in their respective spawning ground. Ocean currents were either unfavorable for the juveniles to reach suitable habitats or transported the juveniles to nursery grounds of neighboring subdivisions. Juveniles which hatched in the Bornholm Basin were most widely dispersed and showed the highest settlement probability, while the second highest settlement probability and horizontal dispersal was observed for juveniles originating from the Gdansk Deep. In a long-term perspective, wind-driven transport of larvae/juveniles positively affected the settlement success predominately in the Bornholm Basin and in the Bay of Gdansk. The Bornholm Basin has the potential to contribute on average 54 % and the Bay of Gdansk 11% to the production of juveniles in the Baltic Sea. Furthermore, transport of juveniles surviving to the age of settlement with origin in the Bornholm Basin contributed on average 13 and 11% to the total settlement in the Arkona Basin and in the Gdansk Deep, respectively. The time-series of the simulated occupied juvenile cod habitat in the Bornholm Basin and in the Gdansk Deep showed a similar declining trend as the Fulton's K condition factor of demersal 1-group cod, which may confirm the importance of oxygen-dependent habitat availability and its effect on density dependence as a process relevant for recruitment success.
Date/Time Start: 1960-01-01T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2011-12-01T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): BSIOM model results for the period 1971-2010: Annually averaged available and occupied juvenile cod habitat and annually averaged number of virtual drifters representing successfully settled Baltic cod juveniles (survivors) (Figures 4-7). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875618
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): BSIOM model results for the period 1971-2010: Frequency of available juvenile cod habitat (Fig. 3) and distribution of virtual drifters (Fig. 8). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875614
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): BSIOM model results for the period 1971-2010: Fulton's K condition index of juvenile Baltic cod < 16 cm from the first quarter of the year (Figure 10). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875620
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): BSIOM model results for the period 1971-2010: Horizontal distribution of virtual drifters (1991-2010) representing successfully settled Baltic cod juveniles hatched in different ICES subdivisions in the central and eastern Baltic Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875611
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): BSIOM model results for the period 1971-2010: Mean distances of Baltic cod juvenile settlement locations (initially released at the same positions but different release depth) relative to initial release depth (26.25m). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875612
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): BSIOM model results for the period 1971-2010: Normalized annually averaged virtual drifters representing successfully settled Baltic cod juveniles in the Bornholm Basin (ICES SD 25) for different required oxygen saturation levels (50, 60, 70%). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875613
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): BSIOM model results for the period 1971-2010: Observed depth distribution of settled eastern Baltic cod juveniles. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875619
- Hinrichsen, H-H (2017): Monthly time series of oxygen content in the depth layer between 0 and 41m in the Bornholm Basin from the ICES Oceanographic data and produced by the BSIOM oceanographic model. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.875610