Stein, Ruediger; Fahl, Kirsten; Schade, Inka; Manerung, Adelina; Wassmuth, Saskia; Niessen, Frank; Nam, Seung-Il (2017): Biomarker and bulk sediment parameter of three sediment cores Chukchi and East Siberian Seas (Arctic Ocean). PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.868795, Supplement to: Stein, R et al. (2017): Holocene variability in sea ice cover, primary production, and Pacific-Water inflow and climate change in the Chukchi and East Siberian Seas (Arctic Ocean). Journal of Quaternary Science, https://doi.org/10.1002/jqs.2929
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
In this study, we present new detailed biomarker-based sea ice records from two sediment cores recovered in the Chukchi Sea and the East Siberian Sea. These new biomarker data may provide new insights on processes controlling recent and past sea ice changes. The biomarker proxy records show (i) minimum sea ice extent during the Early Holocene, (ii) a prominent Mid-Holocene short-term high-amplitude variability in sea ice, primary production and Pacific-Water inflow, and (iii) significantly increased sea ice extent during the last ca. 4.5k cal a BP. This Late Holocene trend in sea ice change in the Chukchi and East Siberian Seas seems to be contemporaneous with similar changes in sea ice extent recorded from other Arctic marginal seas. The main factors controlling the millennial variability in sea ice (and surface-water productivity) are probably changes in surface water and heat flow from the Pacific into the Arctic Ocean as well as the long-term decrease in summer insolation. The short-term centennial variability observed in the high-resolution Middle Holocene record is probably related to solar forcing. Our new data on Holocene sea ice variability may contribute to synoptic reconstructions of regional to global Holocene climate change based on terrestrial and marine archives.
Median Latitude: 73.978138 * Median Longitude: -174.396720 * South-bound Latitude: 73.631500 * West-bound Longitude: 169.837670 * North-bound Latitude: 74.670000 * East-bound Longitude: -166.506670
Date/Time Start: 2008-09-06T22:04:00 * Date/Time End: 2008-09-06T22:04:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Stein, R; Fahl, K; Schade, I et al. (2017): (Table 1) Bulk sediment parameter of sediment core ARA2B-1A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.868789
- Stein, R; Fahl, K; Schade, I et al. (2017): (Table 2) Biomarker proxies on sediment core ARA2B-1A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.868790
- Stein, R; Fahl, K; Schade, I et al. (2017): (Table 3) Biomarker accumulation rates of sediment core ARA2B-1A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.868791
- Stein, R; Fahl, K; Schade, I et al. (2017): (Table 4) Organic geochemistry of sediment core PS72/350-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.868792
- Stein, R; Fahl, K; Schade, I et al. (2017): (Table 5) Biomarker proxies on sediment core PS72/350-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.868793
- Stein, R; Fahl, K; Schade, I et al. (2017): (Table 6) Mineralogy of sediment core ARA2B-1B. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.868794