Burckel, Pierre; Waelbroeck, Claire; Luo, Yiming; Roche, Didier M; Pichat, Sylvain; Jaccard, Samuel L; Gherardi, Jeanne-Marie; Govin, Aline; Lippold, Jörg; Thil, François (2016): The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation during the last glacial. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.865401, Supplement to: Burckel, P et al. (2016): Changes in the geometry and strength of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation during the last glacial (20–50 ka). Climate of the Past, 12(11), 2061-2075, https://doi.org/10.5194/cp-12-2061-2016
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
We reconstruct the geometry and strength of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation during Heinrich Stadial 2 and three Greenland interstadials of the 20-50 ka period based on the comparison of new and published sedimentary 231Pa/230Th data with simulated sedimentary 231Pa/230Th. We show that the deep Atlantic circulation during these interstadials was very different from that of the Holocene. Northern-sourced waters likely circulated above 2500 m depth, with a flow rate lower than that of the present day North Atlantic Deep Water (NADW). Southern-sourced deep waters most probably flowed northwards below 4000 m depth into the North Atlantic basin, and then southwards as a return flow between 2500 and 4000 m depth. The flow rate of this southern-sourced deep water was likely larger than that of the modern Antarctic Bottom Water (AABW). Our results further show that during Heinrich Stadial 2, the deep Atlantic was probably directly affected by a southern-sourced water mass below 2500 m depth, while a slow southward flowing water mass originating from the North Atlantic likely influenced depths between 1500 and 2500 m down to the equator.
Median Latitude: 7.466127 * Median Longitude: -34.552211 * South-bound Latitude: -3.546830 * West-bound Longitude: -35.385170 * North-bound Latitude: 40.505000 * East-bound Longitude: -32.053333
Date/Time Start: 1990-01-01T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1990-01-01T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Burckel, P; Waelbroeck, C; Luo, Y et al. (2016): (Table S02) Age model of sediment core MD09-3256. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.865391
- Burckel, P; Waelbroeck, C; Luo, Y et al. (2016): (Table S06) Opale records of sediment cores SU90-03 and MD09-3256. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.865392
- Burckel, P; Waelbroeck, C; Luo, Y et al. (2016): (Table S07) Pa, Th and U isotopes concentrations of sediment core MD09-3256. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.865395
- Burckel, P; Waelbroeck, C; Luo, Y et al. (2016): (Table S08) Pa, Th and U isotopes concentrations of sediment core SU90-03. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.865396
- Burckel, P; Waelbroeck, C; Luo, Y et al. (2016): (Table S09) Stable carbon isotopic ratios of Cibicides wuellerstorfi of sediment core MD09-3256. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.865397
- Burckel, P; Waelbroeck, C; Luo, Y et al. (2016): (Table S10) Ti/Ca ratios of sediment core MD09-3256. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.865400