Bester, Marthán Nieuwoudt; Oosthuizen, W Christiaan; Bornemann, Horst (2015): SEAFOS seal census survey at Filchner Outflow System during campaign FIL2014. Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven, PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.855259
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
FIL2013: Polar 6 conducted a systematic digital photographic aerial survey of the area of the Filchner Outflow System during two survey flights from Halley VI on 15 and 16 November 2013. The total survey distance covered 3,000 km each on 15 (eastern section) and 16 (western section) November 2013. Due to a low cloud ceiling on 15 November, the first flight operation was terminated prematurely and thus the westernmost track could not be flown. This track was flown on 16 November, and the total number of tracks numbered 11 instead of 12 as had been planned originally.
FIL2014: Visual surveys of pack ice seals using helicopters were conducted from 4 January to 9 February 2014 from aboard RV Polarstern (PS82). For all seal related operations (including deployments of satellite transmitte rs and reconnaissance flights) a total of 30:13 hours during 20 flights were flown (MIN 0:11; MAX 3:13). The survey region was sampled by flying systematically spaced line transects (parallel lines approximately 10 nm apart) whenever ship position and weather conditions allowed, with out clustering transects in areas of easier access. When a full transect length could not be flown on a day, we attempted to complete (extend) the particular transect on a following day.
Oosthuizen, W Christiaan; Reisinger, Ryan R; Bester, Marthán Nieuwoudt; Steinhage, Daniel; Auel, Holger; Flores, Hauke; Knust, Rainer; Ryan, Svenja; Bornemann, Horst (2021): Habitat-based density models of pack-ice seal distribution in the southern Weddell Sea, Antarctica. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 673, 211-227, https://doi.org/10.3354/meps13787
Median Latitude: -75.158236 * Median Longitude: -34.724174 * South-bound Latitude: -77.919501 * West-bound Longitude: -42.741860 * North-bound Latitude: -73.315892 * East-bound Longitude: -25.953078
Date/Time Start: 2013-11-15T10:39:26 * Date/Time End: 2015-11-16T15:49:39
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Bester, MN; Oosthuizen, WC; Bornemann, H (2015): SEAFOS seal census survey at Filchner Outflow during campaign FIL2014. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.855257
- Bester, MN; Oosthuizen, WC; Bornemann, H (2015): SEAFOS seal census survey at Filchner Trough during campaign FIL2014. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.855258
- Bornemann, H; Steinhage, D; Oosthuizen, WC et al. (2015): SEAFOS all census images during POLAR 6 campaign FIL2013. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.843394
- Bornemann, H; Steinhage, D; Oosthuizen, WC et al. (2015): SEAFOS seal census flight profile in 1 min resolution during POLAR 6 campaign FIL2013. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.843392
- Bornemann, H; Steinhage, D; Oosthuizen, WC et al. (2015): SEAFOS seal census images during POLAR 6 campaign FIL2013. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.843395