Riley, J P; Sinhaseni, P (1958): Chemistry on manganese nodules from the Pacific Ocean. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.854661, Supplement to: Riley, JP; Sinhaseni, P (1958): Chemical composition of three manganese nodules from the Pacific Ocean. Journal of Marine Research, 17, 466-482, hdl:10013/epic.46183.d001
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Three manganese nodules from the Pacific Ocean have been analysed for 35 elements by using mainly spectrophotometric and spectrographic methods. Cu, Co, Ni, Zn, and Pb were found in amounts approaching 1 %, which far exceeds their average concentrations in igneous rocks. On the other hand, elements having readily hydrolysable ions, such as Ga, Sc, Zr, Y, La and Ti, are present only in amounts comparable with their concentrations in igneous rocks. Sb, Bit Be, and Cr were not detected. The hydrochloric acid-insoluble fraction of nodules is practically free of the heavy metals that are characteristic of the acid-soluble fraction; it consists principally of clay minerals, together with lesser amounts of quartz, apatite, biotite and sodium and potassium felspars.
Source data set:
Median Latitude: 8.396444 * Median Longitude: -157.681333 * South-bound Latitude: -13.466667 * West-bound Longitude: -177.066667 * North-bound Latitude: 37.866667 * East-bound Longitude: -149.500000
Date/Time Start: 1875-07-12T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1875-09-16T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Riley, JP; Sinhaseni, P (1958): (Table 5, page 474) Composition of acid-insoluble matter from manganese nodules dried at 110°C. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.854658
- Riley, JP; Sinhaseni, P (1958): (Table 6, page 476-477) Composition of acid-soluble fraction from manganese. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.854659
- Riley, JP; Sinhaseni, P (1958): Annotated record of the detailed examination of the analysed Mn nodules from the Challenger expedition. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.854656
- Riley, JP; Sinhaseni, P (1958): Selected rare-earth composition of manganese nodules from Challenger station 276. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.854660
- Riley, JP; Sinhaseni, P (1958): Separation between acid insoluble and soluble parts from Mn nodules from the Challenger expedition. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.854657