Winn, Kyaw; Wiedicke, Michael; Erlenkeuser, Helmut (1990): Age models and stabile isotope ratios from SO35 cores. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.849410, Supplement to: Winn, K et al. (1990): Stable isotope stratigraphy, paleoproductivity and sedimentation rates in the South Lau and North Fiji Basins, Southwest Pacific. Geologisches Jahrbuch Reihe D, 92, 231-253, hdl:10013/epic.46000.d001
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Stable isotope measurements on the planktonic foraminifer Globigerinoides ruber (white) have been carried out on a number of selected deep-seas sediment cores from the South Lau and Norlh Fiji Basins. The d18O-curves show good correlation with the inter-ocean oraphic correlation composite d18O-record of the standard reference section (Prell et al. 1986), which, in combination with the chronostratigraphic classifications of Herterich & Sarnthein (1984, modified) and Imbrie et al. 1984), allows a detailed dating of the sedimentary sequences. The deepest layers in core no. 119 (southern Lau Basin) could be assigned to Isotope Stage 24. Measurements made on bulk carbonate in two cores show a much higher glacial-interglacial amplitude, allowing the general identification of the conventional oxygen isotope stages.
The d13C-values of the benthic foraminifer Cibicidoides wuellerstorfi show progressively lighter values northwards reflecting an increasing contribution of the isotopically lighter CO2 from the remineralisation of organic matter during the general northward movement of the deep water masses. Cyclicities in the sedimentation rates were observed in core nos. 117 and 119 (both southern Lau Basin) where the interglacials exhibit higher levels than the glacials. Calculated new or export paleoproductivity show that the glacials had higher productivity in the euphotic zone. From the oxygen isotope stratigraphy, the five ash layers in core nos. 117 and 119 could be dated as about 530 ka B.P. in Stage 14, 695 ka B.P. in Stage 18, 775 ka B.P. in Stage 21, 790 ka B.P. and 825 ka B.P. in Stage 22. Carbonate dissolution occurred during stages 5, 8 and 10 to 12.
Huybers, Peter (2004): On the origins of the ice ages: insolation forcing, age models, and nonlinear climate change. PhD Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 245 pp, hdl:10013/epic.40774.d001
Sarnthein, Michael; Winn, Kyaw (1990): Reconstruction of low and middle latitude export productivity, 30000 years BP to present: Implications for global carbon reservoirs. In: Schlesinger, ME (ed), Climate-Ocean Interaction, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, 319-342, hdl:10013/epic.46001.d001
Sarnthein, Michael; Winn, Kyaw; Duplessy, Jean-Claude; Fontugne, Michel R (1988): Global variations of surface ocean productivity in low and mid latitudes: influence on CO2 reservoirs of the deep ocean and atmosphere during the last 21,000 years. Paleoceanography, 3(3), 361-399, https://doi.org/10.1029/PA003i003p00361
Median Latitude: -18.435879 * Median Longitude: 179.864700 * South-bound Latitude: -22.449067 * West-bound Longitude: 177.092817 * North-bound Latitude: -14.386833 * East-bound Longitude: -177.329167
Date/Time Start: 1985-02-05T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1985-02-05T00:00:00
SO35/2_101KL (101KL) * Latitude: -22.449067 * Longitude: -177.329167 * Date/Time: 1985-02-05T00:00:00 * Elevation: -3125.0 m * Recovery: 13 m * Location: Lau Basin * Campaign: SO35/2 * Basis: Sonne * Device: Piston corer (BGR type) (KL)
SO35/2_102KL (102KL) * Latitude: -22.404417 * Longitude: -177.449517 * Date/Time: 1985-02-05T00:00:00 * Elevation: -2910.0 m * Recovery: 12.9 m * Location: Lau Basin * Campaign: SO35/2 * Basis: Sonne * Device: Piston corer (BGR type) (KL)
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Age model of sediment core SO35-101, South Lau Basin, Southwest Pacific. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806157
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Age model of sediment core SO35-102 (pilot core). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806860
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Age model of sediment core SO35-182. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806896
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Age model of sediment core SO35-211 (pilot core). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806898
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Density, carbon and stable isotope ratios of foraminifera from sediment core SO35-102 (pilot core). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806861
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Density, carbon and stable isotope ratios of sediment core SO35-211 (pilot core). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806899
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Density, carbon and stable isotope ratios on foraminifera from sediment core SO35-182. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806897
- Winn, K; Wiedicke, M; Erlenkeuser, H (1990): Stable isotope ratios on planktonic foraminifera from sediment core SO35-101, South Lau Basin, Southwest Pacific. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.806158