Stríkis, Nicolás M; Chiessi, Cristiano Mazur; Cruz, Francisco W; Vuille, Mathias; Cheng, Hai; de Souza Barreto, Eline A; Mollenhauer, Gesine; Kasten, Sabine; Karmann, Ivo; Edwards, R Lawrence; Bernal, Patricio A; dos Reis Sales, Hamilton (2015): Paleoclimate record combinatio of speleothems and of sediment core GeoB3910-2. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847283, Supplement to: Stríkis, NM et al. (2015): Timing and structure of Mega-SACZ events during Heinrich Stadial 1. Geophysical Research Letters, 42(13), 5477-5484, https://doi.org/10.1002/2015GL064048
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
A substantial strengthening of the South American monsoon system (SAMS) during Heinrich Stadials (HS) points toward decreased cross-equatorial heat transport as the main driver of monsoonal hydroclimate variability at millennial time-scales. In order to better constrain the exact timing and internal structure of HS1 over tropical South America we assessed two precisely dated speleothem records from central-eastern and northeastern Brazil in combination with two marine records of terrestrial organic and inorganic matter input into the western equatorial Atlantic. During HS1 we recognize at least two events of widespread intensification of the SAMS across the entire region influenced by the South Atlantic Convergence Zone (SACZ) at 16.11-14.69 kyr BP and 18.1-16.66 kyr BP (labeled as HS1a and HS1c, respectively), separated by a dry excursion from 16.66-16.11 kyr BP (HS1b). In view of the spatial structure of precipitation anomalies, the widespread increase of monsoon precipitation over the SACZ domain was termed 'Mega-SACZ'.
Median Latitude: -13.186821 * Median Longitude: -42.146850 * South-bound Latitude: -16.147770 * West-bound Longitude: -44.610550 * North-bound Latitude: -4.245000 * East-bound Longitude: -36.345000
Date/Time Start: 1996-03-30T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1996-03-30T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Stríkis, NM; Chiessi, CM; Cruz, FW et al. (2015): Composite d18O from LSF16 and LSF3 speleothems collected from Lapa Sem Fim cave, central-eastern and northeastern Brazil. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847065
- Stríkis, NM; Chiessi, CM; Cruz, FW et al. (2015): d18O speleothem record of LSF16 collected from Lapa Sem Fim cave, central-eastern Brazil. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847068
- Stríkis, NM; Chiessi, CM; Cruz, FW et al. (2015): d18O speleothem record of PX5 collected from the Paixão cave, northeastern Brazil. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847071
- Stríkis, NM; Chiessi, CM; Cruz, FW et al. (2015): 230Th dating results of speleothem records from two caves, central-eastern and northeastern Brazil. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847280
- Stríkis, NM; Chiessi, CM; Cruz, FW et al. (2015): Branched and isoprenoid tetraether (BIT) index, calcium and titanium element concentration of sediment core GeoB3910-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847002
- Stríkis, NM; Chiessi, CM; Cruz, FW et al. (2015): d18O speleothem record of LSF3 collected from Lapa Sem Fim cave, central-eastern Brazil. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847069
- Stríkis, NM; Chiessi, CM; Cruz, FW et al. (2015): d18O speleothem record of PX7 collected from the Paixão cave, northeastern Brazil. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.847072