Johnstone, Heather J H; Kiefer, Thorsten; Elderfield, Henry; Schulz, Michael (2014): Foraminifera Mg/Ca, test weight and XDX for sediment core WIND28K. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.835222, Supplement to: Johnstone, HJH et al. (2014): Calcite saturation, foraminiferal test mass, and Mg/Ca-based temperatures dissolution corrected using XDX-A 150 ka record from the western Indian Ocean. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 15(3), 781-797, https://doi.org/10.1002/2013GC004994
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
A record of deep-sea calcite saturation (D[CO3**-2]), derived from X-ray computed tomography-based foraminifer dissolution index, XDX, was constructed for the past 150 ka for a core from the deep (4157 m) tropical western Indian Ocean. G. sacculifer and N. dutertrei recorded a similar dissolution history, consistent with the process of calcite compensation. Peaks in calcite saturation (~15 µmol/kg higher than the present-day value) occurred during deglaciations and early in MIS 3. Dissolution maxima coincided with transitions to colder stages. The mass record of G. sacculifer better indicated preservation than did that of N. dutertrei or G. ruber. Dissolution-corrected Mg/Ca-derived SST records, like other SST records from marginal Indian Ocean sites, showed coolest temperatures of the last 150 ka in early MIS 3, when mixed layer temperatures were ~4°C lower than present SST. Temperatures recorded by N. dutertrei showed the thermocline to be ~4°C colder in MIS 3 compared to the Holocene (8 ka B.P.).
Source data set:
Median Latitude: -10.141067 * Median Longitude: 51.102256 * South-bound Latitude: -10.153833 * West-bound Longitude: 51.012819 * North-bound Latitude: -10.090000 * East-bound Longitude: 51.460000
Date/Time Start: 2001-07-30T15:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2001-07-30T15:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Johnstone, HJH; Kiefer, T; Elderfield, H et al. (2014): (Table TS01) Radiocarbon dates of sediment core WIND28K. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.835163
- Johnstone, HJH; Kiefer, T; Elderfield, H et al. (2014): Foraminiferal records of Globigerinoides ruber from sediment core WIND28K. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.835182
- Johnstone, HJH; Kiefer, T; Elderfield, H et al. (2014): Foraminiferal records of Globigerinoides sacculifer from sediment core WIND28K. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.835211
- Johnstone, HJH; Kiefer, T; Elderfield, H et al. (2014): Foraminiferal records of Neogloboquadrina dutertrei from sediment core WIND28K. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.835213
- McCave, IN; Kiefer, T; Elderfield, H (2014): δ¹⁸O and δ¹³C of Cibicidoides wuellerstorfi from sediment core WIND28K. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.835176