Feseker, Tomas; Boetius, Antje; Wenzhöfer, Frank; Blandin, Jérome; Olu, Karine; Yoerger, Dana; Camilli, Rich; German, Christopher R; de Beer, Dirk (2014): Eruption of the Håkon Mosby mud volcano recorded by the long-term observatory on mud-volcano eruptions (LOOME) between 2009 and 2010. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.830324, Supplement to: Feseker, T et al. (2014): Eruption of a deep-sea mud volcano triggers rapid sediment movement. Nature Communications, 5, 5385, https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms6385
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Submarine mud volcanoes are considered an important source of methane to the water column. However, the temporal variability of their fluid transport including mud and methane emissions is largely unknown. Assuming that this transport was continuous and at steady state, methane emissions were previously proposed to result from a dynamic equilibrium between upward migration and consumption at the seabed by methane-consuming microbes. Here we have investigated non-steady state situations of vigorous mud movements and their reflection in fluid flow, seabed temperature and bathymetry. Time series of pressure, temperature, pH and seafloor photography were collected by a benthic observatory (LOOME) for 431 days at the active Håkon Mosby mud volcano. These new data document eruptions, which were accompanied by pulses of hot subsurface fluids and triggered rapid sediment uplift and lateral movement, as well as emissions of free gas.
Median Latitude: 72.004838 * Median Longitude: 14.726368 * South-bound Latitude: 72.002600 * West-bound Longitude: 14.726012 * North-bound Latitude: 72.005400 * East-bound Longitude: 14.726850
Date/Time Start: 2009-07-20T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2010-09-30T14:30:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Blandin, J (2009): Physical oceanography measurements at the Håkon Mosby mud volcano (LOOME). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.757577
- Feseker, T (2009): Sediment temperatures of the Håkon Mosby mud volcano measured continuously with a short temperature lance (LOOME). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.757461
- Feseker, T (2009): Temperatures at the sediment surface of the Håkon Mosby mud volcano measured continuously with a thermistor string (LOOME). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.757662
- Foucher, JP; Harmegnies, F; Feseker, T (2009): Sediment temperatures of the Håkon Mosby mud volcano measured continuously with a long temperature lance (LOOME). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.757632
- Wenzhöfer, F (2009): Autonomous recording current meter measurements at the Håkon Mosby mud volcano (LOOME). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.757573
- de Beer, D (2009): Chemical sensor measurements at the sediment surface of the Håkon Mosby mud volcano (LOOME). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.757579