Just, Janna; Schefuß, Enno; Kuhlmann, Holger; Stuut, Jan-Berend W; Pätzold, Jürgen (2014): Magnetic properties, grain sizes, XRF Scanner Data of sediment core GeoB9307-3. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.830066, Supplement to: Just, J et al. (2014): Climate induced sub-basin source-area shifts of Zambezi River sediments over the past 17ka. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 410, 190-199, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2014.05.045
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Geochemical and mineralogical proxies for paleoenvironmental conditions have the underlying assumption that climate variations have an impact on terrestrial weathering conditions. Varying properties of terrigenous sediments deposited at sea are therefore often interpreted in terms of paleoenvironmental change. Also in gravity core GeoB9307-3 (18° 33.99' S, 37° 22.89' E), located off the Zambezi River, environmental changes during Heinrich Stadial 1 (HS 1) and the Younger Dryas (YD) are accompanied by changing properties of the terrigenous sediment fraction. Our study focuses on the relationship of variability in the hydrological system and changes in the magnetic properties, major element geochemistry and granulometry of the sediments. We propose that changes in bulk sedimentary properties concur with environmental change, although not as a direct response of climate driven pedogenic processes. Spatial varying rainfall intensities on a sub-basin scale modify sediment export from different parts of the Zambezi River basin. During humid phases, such as HS 1 and the YD, sediment was mainly exported from the coastal areas, while during more arid phases sediments mirror the hinterland soil and lithological properties and are likely derived from the northern Shire sub-basin. We propose that a de-coupling of sedimentological and organic signals with variable discharge and erosional activity can occur.
Latitude: -18.565000 * Longitude: 37.380000
Date/Time Start: 2005-02-12T22:11:00 * Date/Time End: 2005-02-12T22:11:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Just, J; Schefuß, E; Kuhlmann, H et al. (2014): Grain size distributions of sediment core GeoB9307-3. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.830062
- Just, J; Schefuß, E; Kuhlmann, H et al. (2014): Isothermal remanent magnetization (IRM) of sediment core GeoB9307-3 (external). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.829955
- Just, J; Schefuß, E; Kuhlmann, H et al. (2014): Isothermal remanent magnetization (IRM) of sediment core GeoB9307-3 (internal). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.829958
- Just, J; Schefuß, E; Kuhlmann, H et al. (2014): Magnetic properties (ARM and S-ratio) of sediment core GeoB9307-3. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.829894
- Just, J; Schefuß, E; Kuhlmann, H et al. (2014): X-ray fluorescence (XRF) data of sediment core GeoB9307-3. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.830064
- Zabel, M (2014): ED-XRF measurements of sediment powder samples from sediment core GeoB9307-3. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.826044