Houben, Alexander J P; Bijl, Peter K; Pross, Jörg; Bohaty, Steven M; Passchier, Sandra; Stickley, Catherine E; Röhl, Ursula; Sugisaki, Saiko; Tauxe, Lisa; van de Flierdt, Tina; Olney, M; Sangiorgi, Francesca; Sluijs, Appy; Escutia Dotti, Carlota; Brinkhuis, Henk; Sawyer, Dale S (2013): (Data S1) Palynological analysis of IODP and ODP sediment cores around the Antarctic margin. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.817054, Supplement to: Houben, AJP et al. (2013): Reorganization of Southern Ocean plankton ecosystem at the onset of Antarctic glaciation. Science, 340(6130), 341-344, https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1223646
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The circum-Antarctic Southern Ocean is an important region for global marine food webs and carbon cycling because of sea-ice formation and its unique plankton ecosystem. However, the mechanisms underlying the installation of this distinct ecosystem and the geological timing of its development remain unknown. Here, we show, on the basis of fossil marine dinoflagellate cyst records, that a major restructuring of the Southern Ocean plankton ecosystem occurred abruptly and concomitant with the first major Antarctic glaciation in the earliest Oligocene (~33.6 million years ago). This turnover marks a regime shift in zooplankton-phytoplankton interactions and community structure, which indicates the appearance of eutrophic and seasonally productive environments on the Antarctic margin. We conclude that earliest Oligocene cooling, ice-sheet expansion, and subsequent sea-ice formation were important drivers of biotic evolution in the Southern Ocean.
Median Latitude: -64.424357 * Median Longitude: 89.378321 * South-bound Latitude: -67.285000 * West-bound Longitude: -42.933200 * North-bound Latitude: -61.849000 * East-bound Longitude: 142.745083
Date/Time Start: 1987-02-23T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1988-01-23T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Houben, AJP; Bijl, PK; Pross, J et al. (2013): (Data S1) Palynology of IODP Hole 318-U1356A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.817045
- Houben, AJP; Bijl, PK; Pross, J et al. (2013): (Data S1) Palynology of IODP Hole 318-U1360A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.817048
- Houben, AJP; Bijl, PK; Pross, J et al. (2013): (Data S1) Palynology of ODP Site 113-696. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.817053
- Houben, AJP; Bijl, PK; Pross, J et al. (2013): (Data S1) Palynology of ODP Site 119-739. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.817051
- Houben, AJP; Bijl, PK; Pross, J et al. (2013): (Data S1, Figure 2) Grain-size uniformity of IODP Hole 318-U1356A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.817043