Laverne, Christine (1983): Geochemistry and minerals at DSDP Hole 70-504B. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.816486, Supplement to: Laverne, C (1983): Occurrence of melanite and aegirine-augite in Deep Sea Drilling Project Hole 504B. In: Cann, JR; Langseth, MG; Honnorez, J; Von Herzen, RP; White, SM; et al. (eds.), Initial Reports of the Deep Sea Drilling Project (U.S. Govt. Printing Office), 69, 593-605, https://doi.org/10.2973/dsdp.proc.69.133.1983
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
In three veins from the lower part of Deep Sea Drilling Project Hole 504B, 298 meters below the top of basement, primary augite is replaced by aegirine-augite. This transformation occurs only in subophitic basalts, at the contact with veins which always include a dark-olive, Mg-rich clay mineral.
Talc occurs in one of these veins; it can be regarded either as a vein constituent or as a product of augite alteration.
Melanite (Ca,Fe,Ti-rich garnet) appears in only one of these three veins, where a Ca-carbonate is associated with a Mg-rich clay mineral. The occurrence of melanite in Hole 504B could be due to the conjunction of particular conditions: (1) basalt with a subophitic texture, (2) presence of hydrothermal fluids carrying Ca, Fe, Si, Ti, Al, Mg, and Na, (3) rather high temperatures. Possibly the melanite and aegirine-augite formed by deuteric alteration.
Median Latitude: 0.613500 * Median Longitude: -41.865000 * South-bound Latitude: 0.000000 * West-bound Longitude: -83.730000 * North-bound Latitude: 1.227000 * East-bound Longitude: 0.000000
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Laverne, C (1983): (Table 1) Geochemistry of CaCO3 in the vein of DSDP Sample 70-504B-40-1,37-39. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.816477
- Laverne, C (1983): (Table 2) Geochemistry of talc and clay minerals forming veins in samples containing aegirine-augite at DSDP Hole 70-504B. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.816480
- Laverne, C (1983): (Table 3) Augite and aegirine-augite geochemistry at DSDP Hole 70-504B. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.816482
- Laverne, C (1983): (Table 4) Geochemistry of andradite and melanite from DSDP Hole 70-504B. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.816483
- Laverne, C (1983): (Table 5) Mode of occurrence of aegirine-augite in veins in DSDP Hole 70-504B altered basalts. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.816485