Paquay, Francois S; Ravizza, Gregory E (2012): Osmium isotope record of Late Pleistocene sediments. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.815337, Supplement to: Paquay, FS; Ravizza, GE (2012): Heterogeneous seawater 187Os/188Os during the Late Pleistocene glaciations. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 349-350, 126-138, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2012.06.051
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
We report high temporal resolution osmium isotopes records of bulk sediment and sediment leachates from DSDP Site 480 (Gulf of California) over the last 30 ka; from ODP Site 849 (Eastern equatorial Pacific) from the last 200 ka and from ODP Site 1002C (Cariaco Basin) across the 9–17 ka time interval in order to critically evaluate claims of a global 10% shift in the 187Os/188Os of seawater from glacial to interglacial intervals. We use organic-rich continental margin sites and carbonate-rich pelagic sites to isolate the temporal variations of the osmium seawater isotopic composition. Our results reveal that variations in 187Os/188Os fail to correlate with global changes in temperature across glacials/interglacials cycles as previously claimed. Instead, these results indicate differences of a few percent in the measured 187Os/188Os between each oceanic basin. We argue that these differences strongly suggest that seawater is not well homogenized with respect to its Os isotope composition.
Median Latitude: 18.918906 * Median Longitude: -102.130966 * South-bound Latitude: 0.183330 * West-bound Longitude: -111.655700 * North-bound Latitude: 27.901700 * East-bound Longitude: -65.169400
Date/Time Start: 1978-12-31T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1996-02-19T04:30:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Paquay, FS; Ravizza, GE (2012): (Table 1) Bulk sediment 187Os/188Os ratios from DSDP Hole 64-480. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.815330
- Paquay, FS; Ravizza, GE (2012): (Table 2) Unspiked leachates 187Os/188Os ratios from DSDP Hole 64-480. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.815331
- Paquay, FS; Ravizza, GE (2012): (Table 3) Spiked leachates 187Os/188Os ratios from DSDP Hole 64-480. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.815332
- Paquay, FS; Ravizza, GE (2012): (Table 4) Bulk sediment 187Os/188Os ratios from ODP Site 138-849. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.815335
- Paquay, FS; Ravizza, GE (2012): (Table 5) Bulk sediment 187Os/188Os ratios from ODP Site 165-1002C. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.815336