Haskell, Brian (2000): Calcium carbonate content and anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility of ODP Leg 172 sites. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.787950, Supplement to: Haskell, B (2000): Data report: Anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility study of Quaternary sediments from the Blake and Blake-Bahama Outer Ridges, western North Atlantic. In: Keigwin, LD; Rio, D; Acton, GD; Arnold, E (eds.) Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results, College Station, TX (Ocean Drilling Program), 172, 1-22, https://doi.org/10.2973/odp.proc.sr.172.211.2000
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Sediments from Sites 1057 and 1061 of Ocean Drilling Program Leg 172 on the Blake Outer Ridge exhibit nearly isotropic magnetic susceptibility. Resolving the degree of anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility proved difficult in many samples because of the generally weak magnetic susceptibility of the sediments relative to the noise level of the susceptibility meters used. Lineation varies from 1.0 to 1.013 and foliation varies from 1.0 to 1.08 in the samples that pass rejection criteria. In general the foliation is better resolved than the lineation, particularly at Site 1061, where the foliation exhibits long-term trends that mimic the mean susceptibility. The changes in the foliation at this site are likely the result of changes in the magnetic mineralogy of the sediment. The poorly developed or absent magnetic fabric in the sediments overall can be attributed to high carbonate concentrations and to a circulation regime that was diffuse or with currents too weak to effectively align magnetic particles.
Median Latitude: 30.939118 * Median Longitude: -74.951189 * South-bound Latitude: 28.246360 * West-bound Longitude: -76.286330 * North-bound Latitude: 32.784500 * East-bound Longitude: -73.599830
Date/Time Start: 1997-02-22T06:05:00 * Date/Time End: 1997-11-03T13:25:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Haskell, B (2000): (Table T1) Calcium carbonate content of ODP Site 172-1057. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.787945
- Haskell, B (2000): (Table T2) Calcium carbonate content of ODP Site 172-1061. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.787946
- Haskell, B (2000): (Table T3) Anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility for various depositional events from ODP Leg 172 cores. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.787947
- Haskell, B (2000): (Table T4) Anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility for ODP Site 172-1061. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.787948
- Haskell, B (2000): (Table T5) Anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility for ODP Site 172-1057. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.787949