Cortese, Giuseppe; Gersonde, Rainer; Maschner, Katharina; Medley, Pamela (2012): Biometric measurements of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.782735, Supplement to: Cortese, G et al. (2012): Glacial-interglacial size variability in the diatom Fragilariopsis kerguelensis: Possible iron/dust controls? Paleoceanography, 27, PA1208, https://doi.org/10.1029/2011PA002187
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The valve area of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis, the most abundant diatom species in the Southern Ocean, strongly changes in size in response to varying conditions in the surface ocean. We examined the link, both in two iron fertilization experiments and in sediment samples covering several glacial Terminations, between size variability in this species and environmental conditions across the Antarctic Polar Front, including sea ice extent, sea surface temperature, and the input of eolian dust. The iron fertilization experiments show valve area to be positively correlated with iron concentrations in ambient waters, which suggests the possibility of a causal relation between valve size of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis and ambient surface water iron concentration. Larger valves are usually found during glacial times and thus seem to be related to lower sea surface temperature and wider sea ice coverage. Moreover, our results indicate that there usually is a strong correlation between larger valve size and increased input of eolian dust to the Southern Ocean. However, this correlation, obvious for the fertilization experiments and for glacial Terminations I, II, III, and V, does not seem to be valid for Termination VI, where size appears to be inversely correlated to dust input.
Median Latitude: -48.029757 * Median Longitude: 0.832287 * South-bound Latitude: -50.157500 * West-bound Longitude: -15.333330 * North-bound Latitude: -44.153330 * East-bound Longitude: 21.118333
Date/Time Start: 1988-03-12T14:37:00 * Date/Time End: 2004-03-20T03:17:00
177-1093 * Latitude: -49.976467 * Longitude: 5.865583 * Date/Time: 1998-01-10T00:00:00 * Elevation: -3626.2 m * Penetration: 1384.4 m * Recovery: 770.3 m * Location: South Atlantic Ocean * Campaign: Leg177 * Basis: Joides Resolution * Method/Device: Composite Core (COMPCORE) * Comment: 129 cores; 1190.9 m cored; 193.5 m drilled; 64.7% recovery
PS1654-2 (PS12/557) * Latitude: -50.157500 * Longitude: 5.722500 * Date/Time: 1988-03-12T14:37:00 * Elevation: -3744.0 m * Penetration: 15 m * Recovery: 12.16 m * Location: Atlantic Indik Ridge * Campaign: ANT-VI/3 (PS12) * Basis: Polarstern * Method/Device: Piston corer (BGR type) (KL) * Comment: 13 core sections: 0-0.21, 0.21-1.21, 1.21-2.21, 2.21-3.21, 3.21-4.21, 4.21-5.21, 5.21-6.21, 6.21-7.21, 7.21-8.16, 8.16-9.16, 9.16-10.16, 10.16-11.16, 11.16-12.16 m
PS2498-1 (PS28/304) * Latitude: -44.153330 * Longitude: -14.228330 * Date/Time: 1993-12-24T06:58:00 * Elevation: -3783.0 m * Recovery: 11.61 m * Location: South Atlantic * Campaign: ANT-XI/2 (PS28) * Basis: Polarstern * Method/Device: Gravity corer (Kiel type) (SL) * Comment: 12 core sections: 0-0.73, 0.73-1.73, 1.73-2.73, 2.73-3.73, 3.73-4.73, 4.73-5.73, 5.73-6.73, 6.73-7.62, 7.62-8.62, 8.62-9.61, 9.61-10.61, 10.61-11.61 m
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Cortese, G; Gersonde, R; Maschner, K et al. (2012): (S1, Fig. 3) Biometric measurements of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis during POLARSTERN cruise ANT-XVIII/2 (EisenEx). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.782730
- Cortese, G; Gersonde, R; Maschner, K et al. (2012): (S1, Fig. 3) Biometric measurements of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis during POLARSTERN cruise ANT-XXI/3 (EIFEX). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.782729
- Cortese, G; Gersonde, R; Maschner, K et al. (2012): (S2, Fig. 4) Biometric measurements of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis on sediment core PS1654-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.782731
- Cortese, G; Gersonde, R; Maschner, K et al. (2012): (S2, Fig. 4) Biometric measurements of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis on sediment core PS2498-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.782732
- Cortese, G; Gersonde, R; Maschner, K et al. (2012): (S2, Fig. 4) Biometric measurements of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis on sediment core PS2499-5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.782733
- Cortese, G; Gersonde, R; Maschner, K et al. (2012): (S3, Fig. 5 and 6) Biometric measurements of Fragilariopsis kerguelensis on ODP Site 177-1093. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.782734