Neuer, Susanne; Davenport, Robert; Freudenthal, Tim; Wefer, Gerold; Llinás, Octavio; Rueda, Mariá-José; Steinberg, Deborah K; Karl, David Michael (2002): Particulate organic carbon flux of moored sediment traps. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.779549, Supplement to: Neuer, S et al. (2002): Differences in the biological carbon pump at three subtropical ocean sites. Geophysical Research Letters, 29(18), 1885, https://doi.org/10.1029/2002GL015393
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
We report primary production of organic matter and organic carbon removal from three subtropical open ocean time-series stations, two located in the Atlantic and one in the Pacific, to quantify the biological components of the oceanic carbon pump. We find that within subtropical gyres, export production varies considerably despite similar phytoplankton biomass and productivity. We provide evidence that the removal of organic carbon is linked to differences in nutrient input into the mixed layer, both from eddy induced mixing and dinitrogen fixation. These findings contribute to our knowledge of the spatial heterogeneity of the subtropical oceans, which make up more than 50% of all ocean area and are thought to spread in the course of CO2- induced global warming.
Median Latitude: 29.170300 * Median Longitude: -15.478883 * South-bound Latitude: 29.151700 * West-bound Longitude: -15.500000 * North-bound Latitude: 29.186700 * East-bound Longitude: -15.450000
Date/Time Start: 1995-11-26T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1998-12-21T00:00:00
CI6_trap * Latitude: 29.151700 * Longitude: -15.468300 * Date/Time Start: 1995-11-16T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1996-12-17T00:00:00 * Elevation: -3618.0 m * Campaign: CI6 * Method/Device: Trap (TRAP) * Comment: trap type middle: SMT234; lower: SMT234
CI7_trap * Latitude: 29.183300 * Longitude: -15.450000 * Date/Time Start: 1996-12-18T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1997-09-25T00:00:00 * Elevation: -3610.0 m * Campaign: CI7 * Method/Device: Trap (TRAP) * Comment: trap type middle: SMT234; lower: SMT234
CI8_trap * Latitude: 29.186700 * Longitude: -15.455000 * Date/Time Start: 1997-09-26T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1998-03-24T00:00:00 * Elevation: -3602.0 m * Location: Canary Islands * Campaign: CI8 * Method/Device: Trap (TRAP) * Comment: trap Typ SMT 234
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Neuer, S; Davenport, R; Freudenthal, T et al. (2002): Mixed layer depth at trap site TTRAP_001. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.80139
- Neuer, S; Davenport, R; Freudenthal, T et al. (2002): POC flux and export ratio of drifting sediment trap. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.80141
- Neuer, S; Davenport, R; Freudenthal, T et al. (2002): POC flux of moored sediment trap CI6. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.79142
- Neuer, S; Davenport, R; Freudenthal, T et al. (2002): POC flux of moored sediment trap CI7. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.79145
- Neuer, S; Davenport, R; Freudenthal, T et al. (2002): POC flux of moored sediment trap CI8. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.79151
- Neuer, S; Davenport, R; Freudenthal, T et al. (2002): Primary production. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.80140