Josef, Jennifer A; Fisk, Martin R; Giovannoni, Stephen (2007): Dissolved lithium and silicon through time in microbial dissolution experiments on ODP Leg 209 peridotite. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776537, Supplement to: Josef, JA et al. (2007): Peridotite dissolution rates in microbial enrichment cultures. In: Kelemen, PB; Kikawa, E; Miller; DJ (eds.) Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results, College Station, TX (Ocean Drilling Program), 209, 1-38, https://doi.org/10.2973/odp.proc.sr.209.002.2007
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Using peridotite drilled during Ocean Drilling Program Leg 209, a series of enrichment cultures were initiated on board the ship to stimulate microbially enhanced dissolution of olivine. Dissolution was estimated by measured changes in dissolved Li and Si in the media through time (up to 709 days). The results suggest that there was no significant difference between the amounts of dissolved Li and Si in most of the inoculated microbial cultures compared to the control cultures. Alternative explanations for this are that
1. No microbes are living in the culture tubes that can affect the dissolution rates of olivine,
2. The control cultures have microbes effecting the dissolution of olivine as well as the inoculated cultures,
3. Not enough time has passed to build up a large enough microbial population to effect the dissolution of the olivine in the culture tubes,
4. Microbes act to suppress dissolution of olivine instead of enhancing dissolution, and
5. Abiotic dissolution overshadows microbially enhanced dissolution.
Further work is required to test these alternatives.
Median Latitude: 15.505501 * Median Longitude: -46.394488 * South-bound Latitude: 14.721160 * West-bound Longitude: -46.903610 * North-bound Latitude: 15.740660 * East-bound Longitude: -44.884730
Date/Time Start: 2003-05-22T05:45:00 * Date/Time End: 2003-07-01T13:00:00
209-1268A * Latitude: 14.845910 * Longitude: -45.077350 * Date/Time Start: 2003-05-22T05:45:00 * Date/Time End: 2003-05-26T19:30:00 * Elevation: -3007.0 m * Penetration: 147.6 m * Recovery: 78.69 m * Location: North Atlantic Ocean * Campaign: Leg209 * Basis: Joides Resolution * Device: Drilling/drill rig (DRILL) * Comment: 29 cores; 147.6 m cored; 0 m drilled; 53.3 % recovery
209-1270D * Latitude: 14.721160 * Longitude: -44.884730 * Date/Time Start: 2003-06-01T03:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2003-06-02T14:45:00 * Elevation: -1816.9 m * Penetration: 57.3 m * Recovery: 7.68 m * Location: North Atlantic Ocean * Campaign: Leg209 * Basis: Joides Resolution * Device: Drilling/drill rig (DRILL) * Comment: 11 core; 57.3 m cored; 0 m drilled; 13.4 % recovery
209-1271B * Latitude: 15.036480 * Longitude: -44.948530 * Date/Time Start: 2003-06-04T02:45:00 * Date/Time End: 2003-06-07T07:45:00 * Elevation: -3584.9 m * Penetration: 103.8 m * Recovery: 15.9 m * Location: North Atlantic Ocean * Campaign: Leg209 * Basis: Joides Resolution * Device: Drilling/drill rig (DRILL) * Comment: 20 cores; 103.8 m cored; 0 m drilled; 15.3 % recovery
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Josef, JA; Fisk, MR; Giovannoni, S (2007): (Table AT4) Dissolved Lithium through time in microbial dissolution experiments for ODP Hole 209-1274A peridotite. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776535
- Josef, JA; Fisk, MR; Giovannoni, S (2007): (Table AT5) Dissolved Silicon through time in microbial dissolution experiments for ODP Hole 209-1274A peridotite. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776536
- Josef, JA; Fisk, MR; Giovannoni, S (2007): (Table T1, T3) Rock types and contamination indicators of ODP Leg 209 cores. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776534