Biskaborn, Boris K; Herzschuh, Ulrike; Bolshiyanov, Dimitry Yu; Savelieva, Larissa A; Diekmann, Bernhard (2012): Paleoclimate investiations on sediment core PG1984 from Lake Sysy-Kyuele, northern Siberia. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776490, Supplement to: Biskaborn, BK et al. (2012): Environmental variability in northeastern Siberia during the last ~13300 yr inferred from lake diatoms and sediment-geochemical parameters. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 329-330, 22-36, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2012.02.003
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
In northeastern Siberia, Russia, a 1.2 m sediment core was retrieved and radiocarbon dated from a small and shallow lake located at the western side of the lower Lena River (N 69°24', E 123°50', 81 m a.s.l.). The objective of this paper is to reconstruct the palaeoenvironmental variability and to infer major palaeoclimate trends that have occurred since ~ 13.3 cal. kyrs BP. We analysed the diatom assemblages, sedimentology (grain size, total organic carbon (TOC), total nitrogen (TN)), and the elemental and mineralogical composition using X-ray fluorescence (XRF) and X-ray diffractometry (XRD) of the sediment core. Our results show parallel changes in the diatom species composition and sediment characteristics. Enhanced minerogenic sediment input and the occurrence of pyrite is indicative of a cold period between ~ 12.7-11.6 cal. kyrs BP. The diatom data enable a qualitative inference about the local ecological conditions to be made, and reveal an oligotrophic lake system with alkaline and cold conditions during the earliest Holocene. Moderately warmer climates are inferred for the period from ~ 9.1 to 5.7 cal. kyrs BP. The major shift in the diatom assemblage, from dominance of small benthic fragilarioid taxa to a more complex diatom flora with an influx of several achnanthoid and naviculoid diatom species, occurred after a transitional period of about 1400 years (7.1 to 5.7 cal. kyrs BP) at ~ 5.7 cal. kyrs BP, indicating a circumneutral and warmer hydrological regime during the Holocene thermal maximum (HTM). Diatom valve concentrations declined starting ~ 2.8 cal. kyrs BP, but have been rising again since less than or equalt to 600 cal. years BP. This has occurred in parallel to the increased presence of acidophilous diatom taxa (e.g. Eunotia spp.) and decreased presence of small benthic fragilarioid species in the most recent sediments, which is interpreted as the result of neoglacial cooling and subsequent recent climate warming. Our findings are compared to other lake-inferred climate reconstructions along the Lena River. We conclude that the timing and spatial variability of the HTM in the lower Lena River area reveal a temporal delay from north to south.
Latitude: 69.404850 * Longitude: 123.827920
Date/Time Start: 2009-08-07T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2009-08-07T00:00:00
PG1984 (09-TIK-13) * Latitude: 69.404850 * Longitude: 123.827920 * Date/Time: 2009-08-07T00:00:00 * Recovery: 2.4 m * Campaign: Tiksi2009 * Basis: Sampling/drilling in lake * Device: Hand push corer (HSR)
PG1984_WS * Latitude: 69.404850 * Longitude: 123.827920 * Date/Time: 2009-08-07T00:00:00 * Elevation: 81.0 m * Lake water depth: 2.5 m * Location: Lake Sysy-Kyuele * Campaign: Lena2009 * Basis: Sampling on land * Device: Water sample (WS)
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Fig. 4) Elemental composition of sediment core PG1984. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776408
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Fig. 4) Mineral composition of sediment core PG1984. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776411
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Fig. 4) Sedimentology of sediment core PG1984. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776414
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Fig. 6) Distributions of the relative abundances of the most common diatom taxa in the PG1984 core of Lake Sysy-Kyuele. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776473
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Fig. 7) First and second axes of the principle component analysis, Hill's N2 diversity index, chrysophyte cysts to diatoms ratios, diatom valve concentrations and total planktonic diatoms in the PG1984 sediment core. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776487
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Fig. 7) Organic geochemistry of sediment core PG1984. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776413
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Table 1) Age determination of sediment core PG1984. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776407
- Biskaborn, BK; Herzschuh, U; Bolshiyanov, DY et al. (2012): (Table 2) Surface water chemistry of a water sample collected in August 2009 from the center of Lake Sysy-Kyuele. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.776528