Zeeden, Christian; Hilgen, Frederik J; Westerhold, Thomas; Lourens, Lucas Joost; Röhl, Ursula; Bickert, Torsten (2013): XRF data, magnetic susceptibility, greyscale values and revised depths of sediments from ODP Leg 154 sites. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.774390, Supplement to: Zeeden, C et al. (2013): Revised Miocene splice, astronomical tuning and calcareous plankton biochronology of ODP Site 926 between 5 and 14.4 Ma. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 369, 430-451, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2012.11.009
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The distinctly cyclic sediments recovered during ODP Leg 154 played an important role in constructing the astronomical time scale and associated astro(bio)chronology for the Miocene, and in deciphering ocean-climate history. The accuracy of the timescale critically depends on the reliability of the shipboard splice used for the tuning and on the tuning itself. New high-resolution colour- and magnetic susceptibility core scanning data supplemented with limited XRF-data allow improvement of the stratigraphy. The revised composite record results in an improved astronomical age model for ODP Site 926 between 5 and 14.4 Ma. The new age model is confirmed by results of complex amplitude demodulation of the precession and obliquity related cycle patterns. Different values for tidal dissipation are applied to improve the fit between the sedimentary cycle patterns and the astronomical solution. Due to the improved stratigraphy and tuning, supported by the results of amplitude demodulation, the revised time scale yields more reliable age estimates for planktic foraminiferal and calcareous nannofossil events. The results of this study highlight the importance of stratigraphy for timescale construction.
Median Latitude: 4.216170 * Median Longitude: -43.252896 * South-bound Latitude: 3.718830 * West-bound Longitude: -44.480600 * North-bound Latitude: 5.463010 * East-bound Longitude: -42.908100
Date/Time Start: 1994-02-19T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1994-03-09T00:30:00
154-926 * Latitude: 3.719017 * Longitude: -42.908300 * Date/Time Start: 1994-02-19T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1994-02-27T00:00:00 * Elevation: -3610.0 m * Penetration: 1331.1 m * Recovery: 1322.4 m * Location: North Atlantic Ocean * Campaign: Leg154 * Basis: Joides Resolution * Method/Device: Composite Core (COMPCORE) * Comment: 141 cores; 1330.6 m cored; 0 m drilled; 99.4% recovery
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Zeeden, C; Hilgen, FJ; Westerhold, T et al. (2013): (Supplement 1) Greyscale values from ODP Site 154-926 sediments. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.774388
- Zeeden, C; Hilgen, FJ; Westerhold, T et al. (2013): (Supplement 2) Magnetic susceptibility of ODP Site 154-926 sediments. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.774389
- Zeeden, C; Hilgen, FJ; Westerhold, T et al. (2013): (Supplement 3) Tie points and La2004 tuned ages of ODP Site 154-926. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.786875
- Zeeden, C; Hilgen, FJ; Westerhold, T et al. (2013): (Supplement 4) Depths and revised depths of ODP Site 154-926. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.786878
- Zeeden, C; Hilgen, FJ; Westerhold, T et al. (2013): (Supplement 5) Greyscale values from ODP Hole 154-928B sediments. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.786879
- Zeeden, C; Hilgen, FJ; Westerhold, T et al. (2013): (Supplement 6) X-ray fluorescence data (Ca, Fe) from ODP Hole 154-926B sediments. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.786880
- Zeeden, C; Hilgen, FJ; Westerhold, T et al. (2013): (Supplement 7) X-ray fluorescence data (Ca, Fe) from ODP Site 154-927 sediments. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.786882