Rennermalm, Asa K; Smith, Laurence C; Chu, Vena W; Forster, Richard R; Box, Jason E; Hagedorn, Birgit (2012): Proglacial river dataset from the Akuliarusiarsuup Kuua River northern tributary, Southwest Greenland, 2008 - 2010, version 1.0. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.762818, Supplement to: Rennermalm, AK et al. (2012): Proglacial river dataset from the Akuliarusiarsuup Kuua River northern tributary, Southwest Greenland, 2008 – 2010. Earth System Science Data, 4(1), 1-12, https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-4-1-2012
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Pressing scientific questions concerning the Greenland ice sheet's climatic sensitivity, hydrology, and contributions to current and future sea level rise require hydrological datasets to resolve. While direct observations of ice sheet meltwater losses can be obtained in terrestrial rivers draining the ice sheet and from lake levels, few such datasets exist. We present a new dataset of meltwater river discharge for the vicinity of Kangerlussuaq, Southwest Greenland. The dataset contains measurements of river stage and discharge for three sites along the Akuliarusiarsuup Kuua (Watson) River's northern tributary, with 30 minute temporal resolution between June 2008 and August 2010. Additional data of water temperature, air pressure, and lake water depth and temperature are also provided. Discharge data were measured at sites with near-ideal properties for such data collection. Regardless, high water bedload and turbulent flow introduce considerable uncertainty. These were constrained and quantified using statistical techniques, thereby providing a high quality dataset from this important site. The greatest data uncertainties are associated with streambed elevation change and measurements. Large portions of stream channels deepened according to statistical tests, but poor precision of streambed depth measurements also added uncertainty. Quality checked data are freely available for scientific use as supplementary online material.
Median Latitude: 67.130187 * Median Longitude: -50.151238 * South-bound Latitude: 67.078031 * West-bound Longitude: -50.276525 * North-bound Latitude: 67.149556 * East-bound Longitude: -50.106610
Date/Time Start: 2007-06-02T04:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2010-08-21T23:30:00
AK-001-001 (Site 1) * Latitude: 67.078031 * Longitude: -50.276525 * Date/Time Start: 2007-06-02T04:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2009-08-21T04:30:00 * Elevation: 150.0 m * Location: Akuliarusiarsuup Kuua River, Kangerlussaq, Southwest Greenland * Device: Hydrometeorological station (HMS)
AK-002-001 (Site 2) * Latitude: 67.132282 * Longitude: -50.138113 * Date/Time Start: 2008-06-09T01:30:00 * Date/Time End: 2010-08-20T23:30:00 * Elevation: 340.0 m * Location: Akuliarusiarsuup Kuua River, Kangerlussaq, Southwest Greenland * Device: River gauging station (RGS)
Funding for this data set was provided by NASA Cryospheric Sciences Program grant NNG05GN89G and NNX11AQ38G.
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Rennermalm, AK; Smith, LC; Chu, VW et al. (2012): River discharge at station AK-002-001. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.762817
- Rennermalm, AK; Smith, LC; Chu, VW et al. (2012): River discharge at station AK-003-001. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.762895
- Rennermalm, AK; Smith, LC; Chu, VW et al. (2012): River discharge at station AK-004-001. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.762897
- Rennermalm, AK; Smith, LC; Chu, VW et al. (2012): River discharge at station AK-005-001. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.762898
- Rennermalm, AK; Smith, LC; Chu, VW et al. (2012): Time series of surface pressure at station AK-001-001. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.762816
- Rennermalm, AK; Smith, LC; Chu, VW et al. (2012): Time series of surface pressure at station AK-002-002. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.762890