Guidi-Guilvard, Laurence D (2011): Dyfamed-benthos time series observations. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.759556, Supplement to: Guidi-Guilvard, LD (2002): DYFAMED-BENTHOS, a long time-series benthic survey at 2347-m depth in the northwestern Mediterranean: general introduction. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, 49(11), 2183-2193, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0645(02)00034-6
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
In 1990, a benthic component to the DYFAMED (dynamics of fluxes in the Mediterranean) program, the DYFAMED-BENTHOS survey, was established to investigate the possible coupling of benthic to pelagic processes at a permanent station in >2700 m water depth, 52 km off Nice, France. Surface sediment was first sampled at different periods of the year to assess the importance of the biological compartment (particularly metazoan meiofauna) and its relation to seasonally varying particulate matter input to the sea floor (estimated by measuring surface sediment particle size and porosity, as well as chloroplastic pigments, organic carbon, nitrogen and calcium carbonate contents). Beginning in 1993, surface sediment was sampled at an average interval of 1.4 months for over five consecutive years using multicorers. Biogeochemical techniques such as deployments of a free-vehicle benthic respirometer and a near-bottom sediment trap, along with analyses of sediment vertical profiles for dissolved oxygen, nutrients and dissolved metals in the porewater, were developed in conjunction with more extensive biological analyses to characterize the recycling of organic matter, and ultimately increase our understanding of the oceanic carbon cycle. This article provides the scientific background and motivation for the development of the on-going DYFAMED-BENTHOS survey, the general characteristics of the benthic site, as well as a detailed description of the sampling design applied from late 1990–2000.
Median Latitude: 43.410528 * Median Longitude: 7.860711 * South-bound Latitude: 43.409333 * West-bound Longitude: 7.858667 * North-bound Latitude: 43.411667 * East-bound Longitude: 7.862667
Date/Time Start: 1993-01-14T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1995-10-10T00:00:00
DYF_KT18 * Latitude: 43.410000 * Longitude: 7.860667 * Date/Time: 1993-01-14T00:00:00 * Elevation: -2347.0 m * Campaign: DYFAMED * Basis: Time-series station * Device: MultiCorer (MUC)
DYF_KT19 * Latitude: 43.409667 * Longitude: 7.860667 * Date/Time: 1993-02-25T00:00:00 * Elevation: -2348.0 m * Campaign: DYFAMED * Basis: Time-series station * Device: MultiCorer (MUC)
DYF_KT20 * Latitude: 43.410333 * Longitude: 7.861667 * Date/Time: 1993-03-28T00:00:00 * Elevation: -2347.0 m * Campaign: DYFAMED * Basis: Time-series station * Device: MultiCorer (MUC)
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Guidi-Guilvard, LD (2002): Chloroplastic pigment equivalents in the top 5 mm of surface sediment on 25 different dates at DYFAMED station. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.183872
- Guidi-Guilvard, LD (2002): Granulometry of the top 5 mm of surface sediment on 25 different dates at DYFAMED station. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.183865
- Guidi-Guilvard, LD (2002): Mean density of total metazoan meiofauna and major taxa or groups in the top 10 cm of surface sediment on 25 different dates at DYFAMED station. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.183876
- Guidi-Guilvard, LD (2002): Organic Carbon, Nitrogen and Calcium Carbonate contents in the top 5 mm of surface sediment on 25 different dates at DYFAMED station. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.183870
- Guidi-Guilvard, LD (2002): Porosity of the top 5 mm of surface sediment on 25 different dates at DYFAMED station. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.183866