Borsetti, Anna Maria; Curzi, Pietro V; Landuzzi, V; Mutti, Maria; Ricci Lucchi, Franco; Sartori, Renzo; Tomadin, Luciano; Zuffa, Gian G (1990): Messinian and pre-Messinian sediments of ODP Holes 107-652A and 107-654A. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.745871, Supplement to: Borsetti, AM et al. (1990): Messinian and Pre-Messinian sediments from ODP Leg 107 Sites 652 and 654 in the Tyrrhenian Sea: sedimentologic and petrographic study and possible comparisons with Italian sequences. In: Kastens, KA; Mascle, J; et al. (eds.), Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results, College Station, TX (Ocean Drilling Program), 107, 169-186, https://doi.org/10.2973/odp.proc.sr.107.128.1990
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Sedimentology, mineralogy, and petrology of the pre-Pliocene sediments drilled at ODP Sites 652 and 654 in the Tyrrhenian Sea (Leg 107) have been studied with emphasis on the lower Messinian to pre-Messinian intervals.
Messinian at Site 652 is essentially turbiditic and basinal in character; it was deposited during the syn-rift phase in a strongly subsiding half-graben and is correlatable with emerged coeval sequences; in part with the Laga Formation of the foredeep of Apennines, and in part with the filling of grabens dissecting that chain in the Tyrrhenian portion of Tuscany.
The sequence found in Site 654 indicates an upper Tortonian to Messinian transgression accompanying crustal stretching in the western Tyrrhenian Sea and is perfectly correlatable with the so-called "Sahelian cycle" and with "postorogenic" cycles recognized in peninsular Italy and in Sicily.
Median Latitude: 40.467150 * Median Longitude: 11.419950 * South-bound Latitude: 40.355000 * West-bound Longitude: 10.696700 * North-bound Latitude: 40.579300 * East-bound Longitude: 12.143200
Date/Time Start: 1986-01-18T08:20:00 * Date/Time End: 1986-02-08T15:15:00
107-652A * Latitude: 40.355000 * Longitude: 12.143200 * Date/Time Start: 1986-01-18T08:20:00 * Date/Time End: 1986-01-28T21:30:00 * Elevation: -3446.0 m * Penetration: 721.1 m * Recovery: 445.3 m * Location: Tirreno Sea * Campaign: Leg107 * Basis: Joides Resolution * Device: Drilling/drill rig (DRILL) * Comment: 75 cores; 721.1 m cored; 0 m drilled; 61.8 % recovery
107-654A * Latitude: 40.579300 * Longitude: 10.696700 * Date/Time Start: 1986-02-03T10:40:00 * Date/Time End: 1986-02-08T15:15:00 * Elevation: -2208.0 m * Penetration: 473.8 m * Recovery: 239.84 m * Location: Tirreno Sea * Campaign: Leg107 * Basis: Joides Resolution * Device: Drilling/drill rig (DRILL) * Comment: 52 cores; 473.8 m cored; 0 m drilled; 50.6 % recovery
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Borsetti, AM; Curzi, PV; Landuzzi, V et al. (1990): (Table 1) Composition of ODP Hole 107-652A samples. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.745865
- Borsetti, AM; Curzi, PV; Landuzzi, V et al. (1990): (Table 2) Composition of ODP Hole 107-654A samples. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.745861
- Borsetti, AM; Curzi, PV; Landuzzi, V et al. (1990): (Table 3) Mineralogy of ODP Hole 107-652A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.745866
- Borsetti, AM; Curzi, PV; Landuzzi, V et al. (1990): (Table 4) Physical properties at ODP Hole 107-652A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.745868
- Borsetti, AM; Curzi, PV; Landuzzi, V et al. (1990): (Table 5) Mineralogy of ODP Hole 107-654A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.745869
- Borsetti, AM; Curzi, PV; Landuzzi, V et al. (1990): (Table 6) Physical properties at ODP Hole 107-654A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.745870