Hald, Morten; Ebbesen, Hanne; Forwick, Matthias; Godtliebsen, Fred; Khomenko, Liza; Korsun, Sergei; Ringstad Olsen, Lena; Vorren, Tore O (2004): Sea surface reconstruction of sediment cores off West Spitsbergen. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.742363, Supplement to: Hald, M et al. (2004): Holocene paleoceanography and glacial history of the West Spitzbergen area, Euro-Arctic margin. Quaternary Science Reviews, 23(20-21), 2075-2088, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2004.08.006
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Two sediment cores from the West Spitsbergen area, Euro-Arctic margin, MD99-2304 and MD99-2305, have been investigated for paleoceanographic proxies, including benthic and planktonic foraminifera, benthic foraminiferal stable isotopes and ice rafted debris. Core MD99-2304 is located on the upper continental margin, reflecting variations in the influx of Atlantic Water in the West Spitsbergen Current. Core MD99-2305 is located in Van Mijenfjord, picturing variations in tidewater glacier activity as well as fjord-ocean circulation changes. Surface water warmer than today, was present on the margin as soon as the Van Mijenfjord was deglaciated by 11,200 cal. years BP. Relatively warm water invaded the fjord bottom almost immediately after the deglaciation. A relatively warm early Holocene was followed by an abrupt cooling at 8800 cal. years BP on the continental margin. Another cooling in the fjord record, 8000-4000 cal. years BP, is documented by an increase in ice rafted debris and an increase in benthic foraminiferal delta18O. The IRD-record indicates that central Spitsbergen never was completely deglaciated during the Holocene. Relatively cool and stable conditions similar to the present were established about 4000 cal. years BP.
Median Latitude: 77.727800 * Median Longitude: 13.514000 * South-bound Latitude: 77.621067 * West-bound Longitude: 9.948333 * North-bound Latitude: 77.781167 * East-bound Longitude: 15.296833
Date/Time Start: 1999-08-01T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1999-08-01T00:00:00
MD99-2304 (3280N) * Latitude: 77.621067 * Longitude: 9.948333 * Date/Time: 1999-08-01T00:00:00 * Elevation: -1348.0 m * Recovery: 22.885 m * Location: Spitsbergen slope * Campaign: MD114 (IMAGES V) * Basis: Marion Dufresne * Device: Calypso Corer (CALYPSO)
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Hald, M; Ebbesen, H; Forwick, M et al. (2004): (Fig. 4) Benthic foraminiferal flux of sediment core MD99-2305. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.509454
- Hald, M; Ebbesen, H; Forwick, M et al. (2004): (Fig. 4) Ice-rafted debris of sediment core MD99-2305. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.509455
- Hald, M; Ebbesen, H; Forwick, M et al. (2004): (Fig. 4) Stable isotopes on Cassidulina reniforme of sediment core MD99-2305. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.509456
- Hald, M; Ebbesen, H; Forwick, M et al. (2004): (Fig. 5) Sea-surface temperature reconstructions of sediment core MD99-2304. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.509453
- Hald, M; Ebbesen, H; Forwick, M et al. (2004): (Table 1) Age model of sediment core MD99-2304. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.509451
- Hald, M; Ebbesen, H; Forwick, M et al. (2004): (Table 1) Age model of sediment core MD99-2305. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.509452