Spielhagen, Robert F; Siegert, Christine; Erlenkeuser, Helmut (2005): Geochemistry of sediment core PS2456-4. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.738265, Supplement to: Spielhagen, RF et al. (2005): History of freshwater runoff across the Laptev Sea (Arctic) during the last degaciation. Global and Planetary Change, 48, 187-207, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2004.12.013
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Sediment core PS2458 from the Laptev Sea continental margin (983-m water depth) stems from a position close to the paleoriver mouth of Lena and Yana rivers. It was dated by AMS-14C and analyzed in high resolution for oxygen isotopes of planktic foraminifers. Except the uppermost 100 cm and possibly the lowermost meter of the 8-m-long core, the sediments were deposited during the last deglaciation (14.5-8.0 cal-ka). According to 210Pb data, the uppermost 100 cm represents only the last 200 years. Planktic foraminifers are present throughout the dated deglacial interval, with the exception of a short time after ca. 13 cal-ka. Taking into account the global "ice volume effect" on the oxygen isotopic composition of the foraminifers, the isotopic record is considered to reflect salinity changes which were influenced by variable freshwater runoff and a growing marine influence during the postglacial transgression of the Laptev Sea shelf. The most conspicuous feature in the isotopic record is an outstanding peak dated to ca. 13 cal-ka. It is proposed that it represents a rapid outburst of large amounts of freshwater, possibly from an ice-dammed lake in the hinterland. Possible correlations to the onset of the cool Younger Dryas event in the northern hemisphere are discussed.
Latitude: 78.166667 * Longitude: 133.398333
Date/Time Start: 1993-09-05T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1993-09-05T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Spielhagen, RF; Siegert, C; Erlenkeuser, H (2005): (Figure 4) Coarse fraction distribution in sediment core PS2458-4. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.327309
- Spielhagen, RF; Siegert, C; Erlenkeuser, H (2005): (Figure 4) Lead 210 analysis from sediment core PS2458-4. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.327428
- Spielhagen, RF; Siegert, C; Erlenkeuser, H (2005): (Figure 4) Physical properties of sediment core PS2458-4. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.327429
- Spielhagen, RF; Siegert, C; Erlenkeuser, H (2005): (Figure 4) Total organic carbon content and its δ¹³C analysis from sediment core PS2458-4. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.327422
- Spielhagen, RF; Siegert, C; Erlenkeuser, H (2005): (Figure 6) Stable oxygen isotope record of planktic foraminifer Neogloboquadrina pachyderma from sediment core PS2458-4. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.327308
- Spielhagen, RF; Siegert, C; Erlenkeuser, H (2005): (Table 2) Results of radiocarbon datings (13C corrected) on sediment cores from site PS2458. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.327430