Mohtadi, Mahyar; Hebbeln, Dierk (2004): Bulk components and planktonic foraminifera of the Chilean continental margin. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.737920, Supplement to: Mohtadi, M; Hebbeln, D (2004): Mechanisms and variations of the paleoproductivity off northern Chile (24°S–33°S) during the last 40,000 years. Paleoceanography, 19(2), PA2023, https://doi.org/10.1029/2004PA001003
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
A multiparameter investigation including organic carbon, carbonate, opal, and planktic foraminifera was carried out on five sediment cores from the coastal upwelling area between 24°S and 33°S along the Peru-Chile Current to reconstruct the history of the paleoproductivity and its driving mechanisms during the last 40,000 years. Inferred from our data, we conclude that the Antarctic Circumpolar Current as the main nutrient source in this region mainly drives the productivity by its latitudinal shifts associated with climate change. Simplified, its northerly position during the last glacial led to enhanced productivities, and its southerly position during the Holocene caused lower productivities. At 33°S the paleoproductivity was additionally affected by the southern westerlies and records highest levels during the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM). North of 33°S, several factors (e.g., position and strength of the South Pacific anticyclone, wind stress, continental runoff, and El Niño Southern Oscillation events) supplementary influenced upwelling and paleoproductivity, where maximum values occurred prior to the LGM and during the deglaciation.
Median Latitude: -30.488465 * Median Longitude: -71.770235 * South-bound Latitude: -33.218333 * West-bound Longitude: -72.090000 * North-bound Latitude: -24.033160 * East-bound Longitude: -70.823500
Date/Time Start: 1992-06-12T08:35:00 * Date/Time End: 2001-04-14T22:13:00
GeoB3302-1 (SO101/3_2-1) * Latitude: -33.218333 * Longitude: -72.090000 * Date/Time: 1995-04-26T00:00:00 * Elevation: -1498.0 m * Recovery: 4.12 m * Location: South-East Pacific * Campaign: SO101 (CONDOR-Ia) * Basis: Sonne * Method/Device: Gravity corer (Kiel type) (SL)
GeoB3375-1 * Latitude: -27.466667 * Longitude: -71.251667 * Date/Time: 1995-06-07T00:00:00 * Elevation: -1947.0 m * Recovery: 4.89 m * Location: South-East Pacific * Campaign: SO102/2 (CHIPAL) * Basis: Sonne * Method/Device: Gravity corer (Kiel type) (SL)
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Mohtadi, M; Hebbeln, D (2004): (Table 2) Age determination of sediment cores of the Chilean continental margin. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.737919
- Mohtadi, M; Hebbeln, D (2005): Bulk components and planktonic foraminifera of sediment core GeoB3302-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.228736
- Mohtadi, M; Hebbeln, D (2005): Bulk components and planktonic foraminifera of sediment core GeoB3375-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.228737
- Mohtadi, M; Hebbeln, D (2005): Bulk components and planktonic foraminifera of sediment core GeoB7139-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.228735
- Mohtadi, M; Hebbeln, D (2005): Bulk components and planktonic foraminifera of sediment core GIK17748-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.228738