Sluijs, Appy; Schouten, Stefan; Donders, Timme H; Schoon, Petra L; Röhl, Ursula; Reichart, Gert-Jan; Sangiorgi, Francesca; Kim, Jung-Hyun; Sinninghe Damsté, Jaap S; Brinkhuis, Henk (2010): Geochemical and palynological results of IODP Hole 302-M0004A from Lomonosov Ridge, Arctic Ocean. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.735745, Supplement to: Sluijs, A et al. (2009): Warm and wet conditions in the Arctic region during Eocene Thermal Maximum 2. Nature Geosciences, 2, 777-780, https://doi.org/10.1038/NGEO668
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Several episodes of abrupt and transient warming, each lasting between 50,000 and 200,000 years, punctuated the long-term warming during the Late Palaeocene and Early Eocene (58 to 51 Myr ago) epochs**1,2. These hyperthermal events, such as the Eocene Thermal Maximum 2 (ETM2) that took place about 53.5 Myr ago**2, are associated with rapid increases in atmospheric CO2 content. However, the impacts of most events are documented only locally**3,4. Here we show, on the basis of estimates from the TEX86' proxy, that sea surface temperatures rose by 3-5 °C in the Arctic Ocean during the ETM2. Dinoflagellate fossils demonstrate a concomitant freshening and eutrophication of surface waters, which resulted in euxinia in the photic zone. The presence of palm pollen implies**5 that coldest month mean temperatures over the Arctic land masses were no less than 8 °C, in contradiction of model simulations that suggest hyperthermal winter temperatures were below freezing**6. In light of our reconstructed temperature and hydrologic trends, we conclude that the temperature and hydrographic responses to abruptly increased atmospheric CO2 concentrations were similar for the ETM2 and the better-described Palaeocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum**7,8, 55.5 Myr ago.
Latitude: 87.866580 * Longitude: 136.177350
Date/Time Start: 2004-08-27T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2004-08-27T00:00:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Sluijs, A; Schouten, S; Donders, TH et al. (2010): Branched and isoprenoid tetraether (BIT) index, TEX86 and sea surface temperatures of IODP Hole 302-M0004A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.735737
- Sluijs, A; Schouten, S; Donders, TH et al. (2010): Palynological analyses of IODP Hole 302-M0004A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.735707
- Sluijs, A; Schouten, S; Donders, TH et al. (2010): Stable carbon isotope ratios and isorenieratane concentrations of IODP Hole 302-M0004A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.735705
- Sluijs, A; Schouten, S; Donders, TH et al. (2010): Stable carbon isotope ratios of IODP Hole 302-M0004A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.735703
- Sluijs, A; Schouten, S; Donders, TH et al. (2010): X-ray fluorescence data of IODP Hole 302-M0004A. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.735713