Freudenthal, Tim; Meggers, Helge; Henderiks, Jorijntje; Kuhlmann, Holger; Moreno, Ana; Wefer, Gerold (2002): Geochemistry of sediments from the upwelling off Morocco. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.735065, Supplement to: Freudenthal, T et al. (2002): Upwelling intensity and filament activity off Morocco during the last 250,000 years. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, 49(17), 3655-3674, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0645(02)00101-7
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The high-productive upwelling area off Morocco is part of one of the four major trade-wind driven continental margin upwelling zones in the world oceans. While coastal upwelling occurs mostly on the shelf, biogenic particles derived from upwelling are deposited mostly at the upper continental slope. Nutrient-rich coastal water is transported within the Cape Ghir filament region at 30°N up to several hundreds of kilometers offshore. Both upwelling intensity and filament activity are dependent on the strength of the summer Trades. This study is aimed to reconstruct changes in trade wind intensity over the last 250,000 years by the analysis of the productivity signal contained in the sedimentary biogenic particles of the continental slope and beneath the Cape Ghir filament. Detailed geochemical and geophysical analyses (TOC, carbonate, C/N, delta13Corg, delta15N, delta13C of benthic foraminifera, delta18O of benthic and planktic foraminifera, magnetic susceptibility) have been carried out at two sites on the upper continental slope and one site located further offshore influenced by the Cape Ghir filament. A second offshore site south of the filament was analyzed (TOC, magnetic susceptibility) to distinguish the productivity signal related to the filament signal from the general offshore variability. Higher productivity during glacial times was observed at all four sites. However, the variability of productivity during glacial times was remarkably different at the filament-influenced site compared to the upwelling-influenced continental slope sites. In addition to climate-related changes in upwelling intensity, zonal shifts of the upwelling area due to sea-level changes have impacted the sedimentary productivity record, especially at the continental slope sites. By comparison with other proxies related to the strength and direction of the prevailing winds (Si/Al ratio as grain-size indicator, pollen) the productivity record at the filament-influenced site reflects mainly changes in trade-wind intensity. Our reconstruction reveals that especially during glacial times trade-wind intensity was increased and showed a strong variability with frequencies related to precession.
Median Latitude: 29.610556 * Median Longitude: -12.656667 * South-bound Latitude: 28.888333 * West-bound Longitude: -13.225000 * North-bound Latitude: 30.631667 * East-bound Longitude: -12.396667
Date/Time Start: 1996-12-10T13:22:00 * Date/Time End: 1996-12-17T16:43:00
GeoB4216-1 * Latitude: 30.630000 * Longitude: -12.396667 * Date/Time: 1996-12-10T13:22:00 * Elevation: -2324.0 m * Recovery: 11.17 m * Location: Agadir Canyon * Campaign: M37/1 * Basis: Meteor (1986) * Method/Device: Gravity corer (Kiel type) (SL)
GeoB4216-2 * Latitude: 30.631667 * Longitude: -12.396667 * Date/Time: 1996-12-10T15:09:00 * Elevation: -2325.0 m * Recovery: 0.27 m * Location: Agadir Canyon * Campaign: M37/1 * Basis: Meteor (1986) * Method/Device: MultiCorer (MUC) * Comment: 4 big tubes, 4 small tubes filled
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Freudenthal, T; Meggers, H; Henderiks, J et al. (2002): Age model and TOC of sediment core GeoB4228-3. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.57857
- Freudenthal, T; Meggers, H; Henderiks, J et al. (2002): Age model, stable isotope record, CaCO3 and TOC of sediment core GeoB4216-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.57856
- Freudenthal, T; Meggers, H; Henderiks, J et al. (2002): Age model, stable isotope record, CaCO3 and TOC of sediment core GeoB4223-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.57858
- Freudenthal, T; Meggers, H; Henderiks, J et al. (2002): Age model, stable isotope record, CaCO3 and TOC of sediment core GeoB4240-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.57859
- Freudenthal, T; Meggers, H; Henderiks, J et al. (2002): CaCO3, TOC of sediment core GeoB4216-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.57860
- Freudenthal, T; Meggers, H; Henderiks, J et al. (2002): CaCO3, TOC of sediment core GeoB4223-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.57862