Knies, Jochen; Stein, Ruediger (1998): Sedimentology, organic geochemistry, and stable isotopes of core PS2138-1. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.728671, Supplement to: Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): New aspects of organic carbon deposition and its paeoceanographic implications along the northern Barents Sea margin during the last 30,000 years. Paleoceanography, 13(4), 384-394, https://doi.org/10.1029/98PA01501
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
We studied variations in terrigenous (TOM) and marine organic matter (MOM) input in a sediment core on the northern Barents Sea margin over the last 30 ka. Using a multiproxy approach, we reconstructed processes controlling organic carbon deposition and investigated their paleoceanographic significance in the North Atlantic-Arctic Gateways. Variations in paleo-surface-water productivity are not documented in amount and composition of organic carbon. The highest level of MOM was deposited during 25-23 ka as a result of scavenging on fine-grained, reworked, and TOM-rich material released by the retreating Svalbard/Barents Sea ice sheet during the late Weichselian. A second peak of MOM is preserved because of sorptive protection by detrital and terrigenous organic matter, higher surface-water productivity due to permanent intrusion of Atlantic water, and high suspension load release by melting sea ice during 15.9-11.2 ka.
Knies, Jochen (1999): Spätquartäre Paläoumweltbedingungen am nördlichen Kontinentalrand der Barents- und Kara-See. Eine Multi-Parameter-Analyse (Late Quaternary paleoenvironment along the northern Barents and Kara seas continental margin. A multi parameter analysis). Berichte zur Polarforschung = Reports on Polar Research, 304, 159 pp, https://doi.org/10.2312/BzP_0304_1999
Latitude: 81.537667 * Longitude: 30.876167
Date/Time Start: 1991-07-18T21:03:00 * Date/Time End: 1991-07-18T21:33:00
PS2138-1 (PS19/112) * Latitude: 81.537667 * Longitude: 30.876167 * Date/Time: 1991-07-18T21:03:00 * Elevation: -862.0 m * Penetration: 10 m * Recovery: 6.34 m * Location: Svalbard * Campaign: ARK-VIII/2 (PS19 EPOS II) * Basis: Polarstern * Method/Device: Gravity corer (Kiel type) (SL) * Comment: Lot 10m
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): Figure 2 and 3. Sedimentology of core PS2138-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.55099
- Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): Figure 2. Stable isotope analysis on sediment core PS2138-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.54686
- Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): Figure 3. Geochemistry of sediment core PS2138-2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.54591
- Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): Figure 3. Grain size distribution of sediment core PS2138-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.54589
- Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): Figure 3. Ice rafted debris (> 2 mm gravel) distribution in sediment core PS2138-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.54590
- Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): Figure 4. Organic geochemistry of sediment core PS2138-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.54692
- Knies, J; Stein, R (1998): Table 1. Age determinations of sediment core PS2138-1. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.77225