Oerter, Hans; Graf, Wolfgang; Meyer, Hanno; Wilhelms, Frank (2004): First results from stable-istope measurements on ice cores from Dronning Maud Land. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.728145, Supplement to: Oerter, H et al. (2004): The EPICA ice core from Dronning Maud Land: first results from stable-istope measurements. Annals of Glaciology, 39, 307-312, https://doi.org/10.3189/172756404781814032
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The European Project for Ice Coring in Antarctica (EPICA) focuses on the drilling of two deep ice cores, the first at Dome C and the second at Kohnen station (75°00' S, 0°04' E) in Dronning Maud Land (DML). This paper deals with stable-isotope records from ice cores drilled in DML. In the first season, the deep EPICA DML core reached a depth of 450 m, recovering ice approximately 7000 years old. Generally, the d18O record indicates a stable Holocene climate and shows low variability. However, during the last 4000 years (based on a preliminary time-scale) the d18O values decrease continuously by about 0.6%, and the deuterium excess values increase by about 0.5%. The correlation between d18O and the deuterium excess d is investigated for a 50m long core section and the near-surface snow. High-pass filtered profiles are positively correlated, whereas the correlation between low-pass filtered profiles is negative. A post-depositional effect due to diffusion processes can be seen in a sub-annually resolved profile from snow-pit samples. Changes in the seasonality of the evolution of the snow cover and the consequences for stable-isotope content are demonstrated with data from ice core B31.
Median Latitude: -75.196083 * Median Longitude: -1.095744 * South-bound Latitude: -75.581500 * West-bound Longitude: -3.430333 * North-bound Latitude: -75.002500 * East-bound Longitude: 0.081000
Date/Time Start: 1997-12-19T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2006-01-17T00:00:00
DML07C98_31 (B31) * Latitude: -75.581500 * Longitude: -3.430333 * Date/Time: 1997-12-19T00:00:00 * Elevation Start: 2669.0 m * Elevation End: 2680.0 m * Recovery: 115.1 m * Location: Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica * Campaign: EPICA_DML3 * Basis: Neumayer Station (WMO89002) * Method/Device: Ice drill (ICEDRILL) * Comment: DML07
DML25S02_03 (SS0203) * Latitude: -75.006000 * Longitude: 0.081000 * Date/Time: 2002-12-18T00:00:00 * Elevation Start: 2882.0 m * Elevation End: 0.0 m * Recovery: 2.01 m * Location: Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica * Campaign: EPICA_DML7 * Basis: Kohnen Station * Method/Device: Snow pit (SNOWPIT) * Comment: Position uncertain
EDML (EPICA Dronning Maud Land, DML28C01_00) * Latitude: -75.002500 * Longitude: 0.068400 * Date/Time Start: 2001-01-10T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 2006-01-17T00:00:00 * Elevation: 2891.7 m * Recovery: 2774.15 m * Campaign: EPICA-Campaigns * Basis: Kohnen Station * Method/Device: EPICA drill (EDRILL) * Comment: Elevation is given with reference to WGS84
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Oerter, H; Graf, W; Meyer, H et al. (2004): Annual means of density, accumulation rate and stable oxygen isotopes of firn core DML07C98_31 (B31), Fig 5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.264593
- Oerter, H; Graf, W; Meyer, H et al. (2004): Composite record of delta 18O (10 yrs means) of ice cores B32 and EDML from Dronning Maud Land, Fig 2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.264634
- Oerter, H; Graf, W; Meyer, H et al. (2004): Delta 18O of ice core EDML from Dronning Maud Land, Fig 2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.264635
- Oerter, H; Graf, W; Meyer, H et al. (2004): Density and stable oxygen isotopes of firn core DML07C98_31 (B31), Fig 5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.264594
- Oerter, H; Graf, W; Meyer, H et al. (2004): Stable oxygen isotopes of snow pit DML25S02_03 (SS0203), Fig 7. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.264585
- Oerter, H; Graf, W; Meyer, H et al. (2004): Stable-istope measurements, 5 cm interval, from ice core EDML (DML28C01_00), Fig 3. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.264580