Le, Jianning; Shackleton, Nicholas J (1992): Stable oxygen isotope record of planktonic foraminifera from late Quaternary sediments of the equatorial Pacific. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.727740, Supplement to: Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): Carbonate dissolution fluctuations in the western equatorial Pacific during the Late Quaternary. Paleoceanography, 7(1), 21-42, https://doi.org/10.1029/91PA02854
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Planktonic foraminiferal test fragmentation in three cores along a depth transect from the western equatorial Pacific (ERDC-93P, 1619 m; RC17-177, 2600 m; V28-238, 3120 m [Thompson, 1976]) were examined for the last 500 kyr at sample intervals from 2.5 to 5 kyr to study the fluctuations of dissolution in the western equatorial Pacific. The age models were constructed by correlating the delta18O records with the SPECMAP stack [Imbrie et al., 1984]. Results showed that intermediate and deep waters experienced the same patterns of dissolution through climatic cycles. Fragmentation varied with a greater amplitude, and the carbonate ion concentration changed less, in the deep than in the intermediate water. Dissolution has significant variance distributions and coherencies with delta18O over the 100, 41, and 23 kyr periods of orbital variations; dissolution maxima lag ice volume minima by 6 to 20 kyr. The dissolution variability was consistent with recent geochemical models which seek to explain the reduction of atmospheric CO2 concentration at the last glacial maximum [Broecker, 1982; Boyle, 1988].
Median Latitude: 0.235286 * Median Longitude: 158.566571 * South-bound Latitude: -2.242000 * West-bound Longitude: 157.008000 * North-bound Latitude: 1.755000 * East-bound Longitude: 159.450000
Date/Time Start: 1967-05-09T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1975-04-19T00:00:00
ERDC-093P * Latitude: -2.242000 * Longitude: 157.008000 * Date/Time: 1975-04-19T00:00:00 * Elevation: -1604.0 m * Campaign: ERDC * Basis: Eurydice * Method/Device: Piston corer (PC)
RC17-177 * Latitude: 1.755000 * Longitude: 159.450000 * Date/Time: 1974-10-27T00:00:00 * Elevation: -2600.0 m * Recovery: 11.1 m * Campaign: RC17 * Basis: Robert Conrad * Method/Device: Piston corer (PC)
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): (Table 2) Planktonic foraminifera concentrations and stable oxygen isotope ratios of sediment core ERDC-093P. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.52476
- Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): (Table 3) Stable oxygen isotope ratios of Globigerinoides sacculifer from sediment core V24-109. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.52477
- Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): (Table 4) Stable oxygen isotope ratios of Globigerinoides sacculifer from sediment core RC17-177. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.52478
- Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): (Table 5) Age model of sediment core ERDC-093P. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.358400
- Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): (Table 5) Age model of sediment core RC17-177. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.358401
- Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): (Table 5) Age model of sediment core V24-109. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.358402
- Le, J; Shackleton, NJ (1992): (Table 6) Planktonic foraminifera concentrations of sediment core RC17-177. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.52480