Geibert, Walter; Assmy, Philipp; Bakker, Dorothee C E; Hanfland, Claudia; Hoppema, Mario; Pichevin, Laetitia E; Schröder, Michael; Schwarz, Jill Nicola; Stimac, Ingrid; Usbeck, Regina; Webb, Adrian (2010): Biogeochemistry of the Eastern Weddell Gyre. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726958, Supplement to: Geibert, W et al. (2010): High productivity in an ice melting hot spot at the eastern boundary of the Weddell Gyre. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 24, GB3007, https://doi.org/10.1029/2009GB003657
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The Southern Ocean (SO) plays a key role in modulating atmospheric CO2 via physical and biological processes. However, over much of the SO, biological activity is iron-limited. New in situ data from the Antarctic zone south of Africa in a region centered at -20°E - 25°E reveal a previously overlooked region of high primary production, comparable in size to the northwest African upwelling region. Here, sea ice together with enclosed icebergs is channeled by prevailing winds to the eastern boundary of the Weddell Gyre, where a sharp transition to warmer waters causes melting. This cumulative melting provides a steady source of iron, fuelling an intense phytoplankton bloom that is not fully captured by monthly satellite production estimates. These findings imply that future changes in sea-ice cover and dynamics could have a significant effect on carbon sequestration in the SO.
Median Latitude: -58.318302 * Median Longitude: 13.626925 * South-bound Latitude: -69.889000 * West-bound Longitude: -0.112300 * North-bound Latitude: -35.963800 * East-bound Longitude: 25.233800
Date/Time Start: 2002-11-26T06:08:00 * Date/Time End: 2003-01-21T15:02:00
PS63/021-1 * Latitude: -39.558000 * Longitude: 11.089500 * Date/Time: 2002-11-26T06:08:00 * Elevation: -4990.0 m * Location: South Atlantic Ocean * Campaign: ANT-XX/2 (PS63 06AQ200211_2) * Basis: Polarstern * Device: CTD/Rosette (CTD-RO) * Comment: Pmax = 5078 dbar
PS63/022-2 * Latitude: -44.661000 * Longitude: 7.084500 * Date/Time: 2002-11-27T16:50:00 * Elevation: -4581.0 m * Location: South Atlantic Ocean * Campaign: ANT-XX/2 (PS63 06AQ200211_2) * Basis: Polarstern * Device: CTD/Rosette (CTD-RO) * Comment: Pmax = 4659 dbar
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Geibert, W; Assmy, P; Bakker, DCE et al. (2010): Composition of centrifuge samples during Polarstern cruise ANT-XX/2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726947
- Geibert, W; Assmy, P; Bakker, DCE et al. (2010): Estimated plankton abundance at station PS63/064-6. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726885
- Geibert, W; Assmy, P; Bakker, DCE et al. (2011): Hydrochemistry and Thorium 234 activity measured on water bottle samples during POLARSTERN cruise ANT-XX/2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.759364
- Geibert, W; Assmy, P; Bakker, DCE et al. (2010): Physical oceanography during POLARSTERN cruise ANT-XX/2 (stations 182, 197 and 216). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.759270
- Geibert, W; Assmy, P; Bakker, DCE et al. (2010): Plankton abundance measured in surface water during Polarstern cruise ANT-XX/2. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726882