Mulitza, Stefan; Prange, Matthias; Stuut, Jan-Berend W; Zabel, Matthias; von Dobeneck, Tilo; Itambi, Achakie C; Nizou, Jean; Schulz, Michael; Wefer, Gerold (2009): Age model, isotope analyses, geochemical measurements and grain size analyses of sediment core GeoB9508-5 from the Senegal River Mouth. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726789, Supplement to: Mulitza, S et al. (2008): Sahel megadroughts triggered by glacial slowdowns of Atlantic meridional overturning. Paleoceanography, 23(4), PA4206, https://doi.org/10.1029/2008PA001637
Always quote citation above when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The influence of the large-scale ocean circulation on Sahel rainfall is elusive because of the shortness of the observational record. We reconstructed the history of eolian and fluvial sedimentation on the continental slope off Senegal during the past 57,000 years. Our data show that abrupt onsets of arid conditions in the West African Sahel were linked to cold North Atlantic sea surface temperatures during times of reduced meridional overturning circulation associated with Heinrich Stadials. Climate modeling suggests that this drying is induced by a southward shift of the West African monsoon trough in conjunction with an intensification and southward expansion of the midtropospheric African Easterly Jet.
Latitude: 15.498333 * Longitude: -17.948000
Date/Time Start: 2005-06-15T13:51:00 * Date/Time End: 2005-06-15T13:51:00
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Mulitza, S (2009): Age model of sediment core GeoB9508-5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726763
- Mulitza, S (2009): Stable isotope analyses of sediment core GeoB9508-5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726776
- Mulitza, S; Zabel, M (2009): Elemental ratios of sediment core GeoB9508-5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726769
- Mulitza, S; Stuut, J-BW (2009): Grain size analyses of sediment core GeoB9508-5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726775
- Mulitza, S (2009): (Table 2) Radiocarbon dates and age model of sediment core GeoB9508-5. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726765