Komarnitsky, Valery M; Evsyukov, Vladimir G; Ustinov, Nikolaj V (1990): Processing results from drill hole VNIIO-1985-82, Arcticheskaya Area; No. 1, Kurentsovskaya Area; No. 82, North Kildinskaya Area (Progress Report 6447). All-Russian Research Institute for Geology and Mineral Resources of the World Ocean, St. Petersburg, PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.690556
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
The hole was drilled in the North Kildinskaya Area in the southern part of the Barents Sea within the South Barents tectonic depression.
Reasons for drilling:
1. Specification of the geological structure of the area and obtaining data for stratification of the geological section and its allocation with reflecting seismic horizons;
2. Study of properties, composition and lithologic-facial features of sedimentary rocks;
3. Study of stratal waters.
The hole was drilled from 01.07.1985 till 24.12.1985. It has penetrated the section up to 4134 m and stopped in Late Permian deposits.
1. Within the studied geological section a lithologic and stratigraphic sequence of sedimentary rocks (based on microfauna, spora and pollen spectra, bivalve mollusks, and lithologic composition) from Late Permian to Quaternary deposits has been carried out.
2. Thicknesses of the units are as followed: Late Permian - 14 m, Early Triassic - 1686 m (Induan - 1108 m, Olenekian - 578 m), Middle Triassic (Anisian) - >423 m.
3. The rocks mainly comprise claystones with layers sandstones and siltstones. Coaly layers occur. Combination of clayey lagoonal-marine and coaly deposits with layers of siltstones and sandstones indicate near-coastal deltaic setting of their accumulation.
4. Geological structures in the Kurentsov, North Kildin and Arctic areas are similar due to belonging them to the South Barents tectonic depression. Thicknesses of Jurassic-Cretaceous deposits in these areas are comparable.
5. Tectonic development of the southern Barents Sea from the Late Triassic to the Cretaceous was characterized by steady downwarping from the Early Jurassic to the Early Neocomian. The structures were developed consedimentary and mainly formed during the Early Neocomian. Their final formation was during the pre-Pliocene, when formation of the structure and general uplift of the region took place.
6. Combination of lithologic and stratigraphic results from the holes drilled within the Kurentsov, Murmansk, North Kildin and Arctic areas with materials of seismic prospecting indicate sharp increase in thickness and pelagicity of the Induan stage in direction from Russian and Pechora plates (0-200 m) to the shelf (up to 800-1000 m within the Kurentsov and Murmansk areas), and then 1500 m and more within the Kildin area and, probably, more than 3-4 km in the central part of the South Barents tectonic depression (Arctic area).
Latitude: 71.500000 * Longitude: 37.200000
VNIIO-1985-82 (VNIIO-1985-82) * Latitude: 71.500000 * Longitude: 37.200000 * Elevation: -263.7 m * Recovery: 999.999 m * Location: Barents Sea * Campaign: VNIIO-1985 * Method/Device: Drilling/drill rig (DRILL)
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Komarnitsky, VM (2008): Ages and types of sedimentary rocks from Hole VNIIO-1985-82 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676954
- Komarnitsky, VM (2008): Chemical composition of stratal waters from sedimentary rocks of Hole VNIIO-1985-82 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.680847
- Komarnitsky, VM (2008): Clay mineral composition of <0.001 mm grain size fraction of sedimentary rocks from Hole VNIIO-1985-82 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676949
- Komarnitsky, VM (2008): Contents of total organic carbon and bitumen in sedimentary rocks from Hole VNIIO-1985-82 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676953
- Komarnitsky, VM (2008): Gas composition from sedimentary rocks in Hole VNIIO-1985-82 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676950
- Komarnitsky, VM (2008): Heavy mineral composition of 0.100-0.050 mm grain size fraction of sedimentary rocks from Hole VNIIO-1985-82 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676952