Kosheleva, Vera A; Bondarev, Vladimir N (1993): Processing results from drill hole AMIGE-1993-219 drilled in the Barents Sea, Central Rise (Murmansk). All-Russian Research Institute for Geology and Mineral Resources of the World Ocean, St. Petersburg, PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.688741
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Latitude: 74.916700 * Longitude: 41.333300
Reasons for drilling:
1. Obtaining information on the geological section of Pleistocene and Holocene sediments;
2. Study of properties, composition and lithologic-facial features of the sediments.
3. Reconstruction of paleoecological conditions within the Barents and Kara Sea shelf during Cenozoic.
The hole has penetrated the section of 19 m and stopped in pre-Pleistocene sediments.
Hole description and results:
1. Comprehensive lithologic and paleontological studies of drill samples from the hole have allowed to reveal lithologic features and to carry out a lithologic and stratigraphic sequence of sediments and sedimentary deposits from pre-Pleistocene to Holocene ones.
2. Thicknesses of the units are as followed: pre-Pleistocene (Cenozoic) ñ 6.4 m, Pleistocene ñ 6.9 m, Holocene ñ 5.7 m.
3. The units are heterogeneous. The pre-Pleistocene mottled deposits (from 19.0 to 12.6 m) comprise light gray sand, gray weakly lithified sandstone, and dark gray siltstone. The latter dominates. Small shelly detritus also occurs in the unit. The overlain Pleistocene sediments in the interval from 12.6 to 5.7 m have a sharp contact with the pre-Pleistocene deposits. They comprise dark gray morainic clay loam (diamicton) with pebbly and gravelly inclusions; clayey and silty materials dominate. The Holocene sediments (from 5.7 to 0.0 m) are divided to two layers. The lower layer in the interval from 5.7 to 1.3 m is composed of dark gray clayey material (clayey material dominates) without lamination; in the roof it is enriched in flow rolls, in lower horizons rare rudaceous material occurs. The upper layer in the interval from 1.3 to 0 m is composed of greenish-gray clayey mud with dominated clayey and silty particles; polychaeta tubes occur in the layer.
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Kosheleva, VA; Bondarev, VN (2008): Clay mineral composition of <0.01 mm grain size fraction of sediments from Hole AMIGE-1993-219 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676844
- Kosheleva, VA; Bondarev, VN (2008): Grain size composition of sediments from Hole AMIGE-1993-219 drilled in the Barens Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676845
- Kosheleva, VA; Bondarev, VN (2008): Heavy mineral composition of 0.100-0.050 mm grain size fraction of sediments from Hole AMIGE-1993-219 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676846
- Kosheleva, VA; Bondarev, VN (2008): Light mineral composition of 0.100-0.050 mm grain size fraction of sediments from Hole AMIGE-1993-219 drilled in the Barents Sea. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.676847