Mangini, Augusto; Dominik, Janusz (1978): Determination of Uranium, Thorium, and Ionium in sediment cores of the Caribbean and Ionian Sea. PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.548463, Supplement to: Mangini, A; Dominik, J (1978): Th230-excess EDTA extraction: A modification of the ionium method for high accumulation rate determinations. Meteor Forschungsergebnisse, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Reihe C Geologie und Geophysik, Gebrüder Bornträger, Berlin, Stuttgart, C29, 6-13
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
A rapid procedure for Io (Th230) dating of sediments with accumulation rates in the range of several cm/1000 years is described. Studying of large sample populations with very small Io-excess activity is possible as the counting time (around 1500 min/sample) are 2 to 5 times shorter than with the standard Io-excess method. Improved sensitivity of the Io-excess measurement is achieved by:
1) extraction ( ~90 %) of the authigenic Io-excess with EDTA, with minor leaching ( ~30 %) of the allogenic Th232 and Io-supported,
2) processing samples as large as 10 g or more.
The procedure was applied to sediments from the Caribbean (V 12-122) and from the Ionian Sea (M22_48 and M17_17). In the case of the standard core V 12-122 our results are in good agreement with previous time-consuming Io determinations. The resulting average accumulation rates of 2.0 ± 0.3 cm/1000 years for the Ionian Sea cores are close to the average derived from magnetic reversal studies of a nearby core.
Median Latitude: 31.000000 * Median Longitude: -12.800000 * South-bound Latitude: 17.000000 * West-bound Longitude: -74.400000 * North-bound Latitude: 38.000000 * East-bound Longitude: 18.000000
Date/Time Start: 1957-07-29T00:00:00 * Date/Time End: 1957-07-29T00:00:00
M17_17 (17M17) * Latitude: 38.000000 * Longitude: 18.000000 * Location: Ionian Sea * Campaign: M17 (CIM (Cooperative Investigations of the Mediterranean)) * Basis: Meteor (1964) * Device: Box corer (BC) * Comment: Position uncertain
M22_48 (22M48) * Latitude: 38.000000 * Longitude: 18.000000 * Location: Ionian Sea * Campaign: M22 * Basis: Meteor (1964) * Device: Box corer (BC) * Comment: Position uncertain
V12-122 * Latitude: 17.000000 * Longitude: -74.400000 * Date/Time: 1957-07-29T00:00:00 * Elevation: -2800.0 m * Recovery: 10.95 m * Campaign: V12 * Basis: Vema * Device: Piston corer (PC)
Datasets listed in this Collection
- Mangini, A; Dominik, J (1978): Thorium and Ionium amount of EDTA extracted Th-isotopes in sediment core V12-122 (Table 3), Caribbean. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.527936
- Mangini, A; Dominik, J (1978): Uranium, Thorium and ionium content of the bulk samples and amount of EDTA extracted Th-isotopes in sediment core M17_17, Ionian Sea (Table2). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.527934
- Mangini, A; Dominik, J (1978): Uranium, Thorium and ionium content of the bulk samples and amount of EDTA extracted Th-isotopes in sediment core M22_48, Ionian Sea (Table1). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.527935