Jacops, Merijn J; Schenke, Hans Werner (2006): Mapping of the Eltanin impact area in the South-East Pacific. Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven, PANGAEA, https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.526941
Always quote above citation when using data! You can download the citation in several formats below.
Two Polarstern expeditions were conducted in 1995 (ANT-XII/4) and 2001 (ANT-XVIII/5a) to the Bellingshausen Sea and Amundsen Sea and the suspected Eltanin meteorite impact in the SE-Pacific. A survey of the sediment distribution and its acoustic structure along the cruise track was performed. The seafloor topography was sampled using the multibeam sonar system Hydrosweep DS2 which operates on a frequency of 15.5 kHz. The resulting AWI Bathymetric Chart of the Eltanin Meteorite Impact Area is based on a Digital Terrain Model of this area. The mapping was performed using ArcGIS. The Eltanin impact area which covers the 4.100 m high Freden Seamount is visualized by one overview sheet of the scale 1:200,000 and four 1:100,000 subsheets.
Jacops, Merijn J (2002): Analysis of high resolution bathymetric data in the Eltanin impact area. Master Thesis, Technische Universiteit, Delft, 99 pp
Krocker, Ralf (2008): Korrelation von Gravimetrie und Bathymetrie zur geologischen Interpretation der Eltanin Impaktstruktur im Südpazifik (Correlation of gravimetry and bathymetry for the geologic interpretation of the Eltanin Impact Structure in the South-Pacific). Berichte zur Polar- und Meeresforschung = Reports on Polar and Marine Research, 577, 132 pp, https://doi.org/10.2312/BzPM_0577_2008
Median Latitude: -57.416665 * Median Longitude: -91.250000 * South-bound Latitude: -58.000000 * West-bound Longitude: -92.333300 * North-bound Latitude: -56.833330 * East-bound Longitude: -90.166700
Raw data editing and cleaning was performed using Caris HIPS. Within ArcGIS the inverse distance weighting interpolator applying a search radius depending on the number of input points, but with a maximum size of 500 meters was utilized to compute the DTM. The grid size of the DTM was chosen at 100 meter, based on the average point density. Because of the moderate noise present after the computation of the DTM a slope-depending binomial -filtering was applied. The accuracy of multibeam depth measurements is estimated between 0.5 to 1.0 % of the water depth. The differences between gridded and raw data are within this limit.
Datasets listed in this publication series
- Jacops, MJ; Schenke, HW (2006): AWI Bathymetric chart of the Eltanin impact area - overview. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.526937
- Jacops, MJ; Schenke, HW (2006): AWI Bathymetric chart of the Eltanin impact area - sheet 1 (north-west). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.526936
- Jacops, MJ; Schenke, HW (2006): AWI Bathymetric chart of the Eltanin impact area - sheet 2 (north-east). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.526935
- Jacops, MJ; Schenke, HW (2006): AWI Bathymetric chart of the Eltanin impact area - sheet 3 (south-west). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.526940
- Jacops, MJ; Schenke, HW (2006): AWI Bathymetric chart of the Eltanin impact area - sheet 4 (south-east). https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.526938
- Jacops, MJ; Schenke, HW (2006): Digital Terrain Model (DTM) of the bathymetry of the Eltanin impact area. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.526934